Where to get parts online for Andros 5II?

Started by Iceking02, July 17, 2012, 04:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iceking02

I purchased two Andros 5II reels and the corresponding Okuma Cedros jigging rods. They worked great the first year. No problems and they were quite fun really. My girlfriend reeled in a 148lb. halibut and multiple 40-50lb ling cod. They were rinsed with fresh water a couple of times throughout the season and were stored indoors for the winter with the drag pressure only enough to prevent free-spooling and a rat's nest from forming.

This year we took the reels out to fish and when turning the handle it felt like we were grinding through a box of gravel! I signed up on this site and took the reels apart with the assistance of the tutorials--very helpful. Everything was cleaned and greased and from what I gather the right main side plate bearing (key #910-472) is likely dead. As well there was extensive, severe pitting of the drag plate. I believe that this plate should be replaced on both reels.

The only manner in which to provide any drag for jigging is to tighten the drag preset. This produces loading of the right side-plate bearing in such a manner as to make reeling tedious and free-spool negligible. Soooo, do you folks recommend replacing more than just the right side-plate bearing? Where can I purchase the drag plates as I had difficulty finding this information on the Okuma website?

Thanks in advance for your collective assistance!

IceKing02 (in Alaska)

JGB

These reels have a 3 year warranty. Contact Okuma USA and they should take care of then for you.

When you get them back, pack the right side plate bearing and grease the drags. These reels do not have the TSI treatment so you may want to do the full service with cleaned and opened spool bearings.

When storing for long periods it is best to place the reel in free spool (clicker on) until completely dry inside and out.
You can then apply the drag if you like but it is not necessary.

If you are tightening the drag preset to the point you no longer have free spool you are exceeding the maximum drag that the reel was designed for. Always use a drag scale when setting the drag. Over setting the drag can cause bearing damage to the left spool bearing as well as the right side pinion bearing. If you need more drag the Makiara 10 with 34# of drag may be in order.

Jim N.

Iceking02

Jim,

I was hoping that I could just order the parts and fix it myself. I'm not averse to sending it away to Okuma Factory Service, however. Thanks for the info on drag settings. I've learned a LOT from all of you on this forum. Prior to this forum I didn't realize the impact of what I was doing on the lever drag preset knob. I'm pretty sure that I've just blown these reels out trying to horse in fish that were too big for this setup.

Bob

JGB

Bob,

try giving Ronald Almanza a call  909-923-2828 ext 135.

Tell him you have a Andros with a bad pinion bearing. see if he will send you one under warranty.

Jim N.

Iceking02

JGB,

Girlfriend just called Okuma today and they said that the warranty is for one year only. We're outta luck on this one.
I'll call Mr. Almanza and see if he can sell me a pinion bearing as well as a new drag plate. Mine are toast. The Avets have been running like charms since 2008 with lots of abuse and no reel love. I'll try to shoot pics and you'll understand the degree of difference between these two.

Bob

day0ne

Okuma will sell you the parts. I've had nothing but great dealings with their parts man. He voluntarily gave me the charter captain price because I ordered so much (really not that much, just a bunch of clamp kits). I've heard he can be hard to get a hold of but that has never been my experience.

Tel 909-923-2828
Fax 909-923-2909
1-800-GO-OKUMA
1-800-466-5862

or

Parts and Service   service@okumafishing.com
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Iceking02

So I actually called Ron Almanza at Okuma yesterday (I've GOT to get these reels ready for next year!) He was very patient and interested in my statement that the metal drag plates were severely pitted. Ron said that they sell and fish these reels all around the world and that they have not experienced the phenomenon of drag plate pitting. Wish that I'd taken a picture of the plate prior to sending but I'd suspect that 25% of surface was gone due to pitting.

Ron said that Okuma will look the reels over, service them appropriately, and send them back. I offered on multiple occasions to pay for any work that they do but he wouldn't hear of it. I may ask to have Okuma sell me some extra bearings just in case...I've got a feeling that these reels will receive a good workout next summer! Thanks again, Jim!

Bob

Iceking02

Okuma Update:

In less than a month the folks at Okuma were able to receive, repair and mail back both of my reels. They arrived in a condition better than when purchased new in April of 2011. The free-spooling of the reels is excellent and they are once again silky smooth in retrieve. A number of parts were replaced to include the metal drag plate, all of the bearings, and two drive gears. I'm not sure what I was able to do to basically toast a pair of reels so thoroughly. I'll be certain to rinse them in fresh water, back off the drag, dry them out in the garage each week, and then open them up to dab on some of the Okuma factory lube to the bearings.

I'll be sure to see if there is a repeat of this phenomenon over the next year. With any luck and an improved understanding of the internals of those reels it should go much better in the future! Thanks again to one and all for this site and the support of its members. I'll see if we can show off the fruits of a well-tuned reel next summer!

Bob