Shimano Tiagra 50W

Started by erikpowell, July 17, 2012, 11:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Hi Gang,
Question: On the left side plate of a Tiagra 50, do either of the two screw holes at the harness lug have threads on the plate itself?

Reason i ask is i have 2 of these reels, same owner, a 50W and a 50WLRS, far as i can tell they've never been serviced.
The same screw on both reels snapped off at the heads when i tried to remove them.. :o
it's the top screw at the lug, the one that has the rubber washer..on both reels
... all the other screws came out fine, but the broken off one prevents me from separating the plate from the frame...

There can't be any threads on the side plate itself can there?? Would that be why they put the o-ring in that ONE hole only??  ???

I'm stumped... next stop will have to be the machine shop for a drill & tap...

Thanks ya'll!

Bryan Young

Hi Erik

There are no threads on the side plate. The o-rings help dampen and keep the lugs from vibrating.

Bryan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

No threads in Plate...

Soak it very good, it is obviously corroded solid...
Soak, Tap, Tap rinse/soak and repeat...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

erikpowell

Thanks you guys... I thought so but needed some confirmation.

I was planning on taking the frames to a shop today & have them drilled out & re-tapped since they are broken off.

Hey Ness, what would you use to soak in?  Vinegar, Salt-away, or an ultrasonic clean would be my options.... We can't get WD-40 here..

Vinaka guys!

redsetta

G'day Erik,
They're great reels - I did a couple of 80Ws last week.
The screw also has a split ring, on which the broken thread may be catching.
If the side plate's still attached, perhaps try tapping the top of the screw thread with a punch.
I've taken to soaking frozen metal parts in Albert's ATF/acetone mix, as standard penetrating oils often let me down.
Vinegar's good on surface corrosion, but I don't find it penetrates sufficiently.
If the frame and side plate are now apart, is there enough thread left proud to grasp with pliers and unscrew (after a good soaking)?
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Okay, since you gotta get down to business, I'd tell the customer that you need to remove the line.  If you can do it and save it, good, but if not, the customer should be prepared.  Second, soak the reel in Saltaway.  I like that stuff, and if possible to do that in an ultrasonic cleaner, even better.  If that doesn't work, drill out the head of the screw so that the side plate can come off.  then try soaking it again in salt away in the ultrasonic cleaner.  then take a good vice grip can clamp down on the screw and twist out.  Drilling and re-tapping is my last resort!  Good luck.

Quote from: erikpowell on July 17, 2012, 09:04:55 PM
Thanks you guys... I thought so but needed some confirmation.

I was planning on taking the frames to a shop today & have them drilled out & re-tapped since they are broken off.

Hey Ness, what would you use to soak in?  Vinegar, Salt-away, or an ultrasonic clean would be my options.... We can't get WD-40 here..

Vinaka guys!

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

erikpowell

Quote from: redsetta on July 17, 2012, 09:38:59 PM
G'day Erik,
They're great reels - I did a couple of 80Ws last week.
The screw also has a split ring, on which the broken thread may be catching.
If the side plate's still attached, perhaps try tapping the top of the screw thread with a punch.
I've taken to soaking frozen metal parts in Albert's ATF/acetone mix, as standard penetrating oils often let me down.
Vinegar's good on surface corrosion, but I don't find it penetrates sufficiently.
If the frame and side plate are now apart, is there enough thread left proud to grasp with pliers and unscrew (after a good soaking)?
Good luck, Justin
automotive ATF Justin? that mix sounds spot on, i'll give it a try next time!

And thanks Bryan, thats exactly how i did it...drilled out just thru the side plate and was able to then wiggle and pry the plate off.
what remained of the screws i was able to twist out with vicegrips..... Whew.. ;).... no tapping needed!

and for what its worth..as beat up, salty, and scarred as these reels were on the outside, they were near perfect inside..the rest was easy!
...if only Penn could achieve the same with their gold reels!  Shimano certainly sets the bar for durability.

Bryan Young

Glad I worked out with little damage.