Magnetic anti reverse system.

Started by basto, July 17, 2012, 07:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

OK, I know I`ve had some crazy ideas in the past, but I can`t stop thinking that if the ratchet in a ratchet and pawl AR system, was magnetised and the pawl was made of a metal that was attracted to a magnet, then we would have no need for a spring on the pawl.

I realize that the difficult part would be finding metals that not only had these properties, but were also salt resistant.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bryan Young

Interesting option.  I'm sure there's gotta be something.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

I'm thinking that magnets are not used because good stainless material, whether it's brass/bronze or SS are not magnetic.  Once the SS gets into the magnetic range, it's not as stainless.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

basto

Yes, I always thought a magnet could not affect aluminium, but look at look at the effect they have on aluminium spools.

redsetta

G'day basto,
This is different to magnetism per se.
The magnets in a cast control create an eddy current, which will react with any conductive metal - 'current' and 'conductive' being the key words...
The spool needs only be conductive in a mag cast set up.
Hope that's in some way understandable. ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tile

Another option is to put a pair of opposing magnets: one on the antireverse pawl and the other on a fixed point in the body of the reel.
In solid fiberglass we trust

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

basto

It`s starting to get very interesting now. Thanks guys for furthering my education.

johndtuttle

I think the answer is pretty complicated and one frankly I know little about but some things came up in a Alan Hawk post about magnets used instead of bail springs for the bail in a new spinning reel design.

His experience was that the system failed immediately due to the magnets getting wet in normal operation of the boat and then the slightest bit of corrosion on the magnet itself (noted after just a few days of use) caused them to stop working.

In an AR bearing the issue may be that they would still require lite lubrication unless behind extremely good sealing or come to grief quickly in the marine environment as they would rust very quickly. The lubrication may prevent them from functioning correctly in this application as their current is affected by it I believe. The additional sealing required might also affect free spool or smoothness in conventional and spinning reels respectively.

best

Alto Mare

I'm sticking with my spinners ss :-\. Thanks to Justin, now we have stainless steel dogs and ratchets.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.