Applying TSI 301

Started by AlohaDan, July 18, 2012, 04:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlohaDan

I've tried to wade through all the TSI 301 stuff. Before TSI I was on the CaL'S, yamaha, corrsion X trio package.

But I had some problems. Specifically getting shields off the smaller bearings to clean them or to ensure new bearings were lubed correctly.

I'm now due to overhaul my reels again. Reading the various posts on TSI I gather I can clean old bearings or new ones for that matter the way Alan describes with carb cleaner and air.

Now how do I get TSI in there withot removing the shields?

Do I need Alan's bearing packer?  Or... after cleaning the bearing up , can I just heat up the TSI and dip the bearing into it without removing the shield? What's the viscosity of TSI when cold? How hot do I have to get it (heat gun is available)

Mahalo for any help./

AlohaDan

alantani

i just dip.  you should be fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rockfish1

You really don't want to start heating the TSI 301!   The solvent in it is very fast evaporating and you'll just make it go away even faster, soon your can will be half full..........besides, the viscosity is very low and Alan's advice to just put the bearing on a wire or something and dip at room temp is dead on.

Nessie Hunter

The 301 "With Solvent" is so thin it will run right through shields, no problem.

The 321 "Without Solvent" is thicker but will still pass through shields of clean bearings.

The Bearing Packer is used for grease not oils...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

AlohaDan

OK so I'll do the bearings by dipping in TSI 301

But maybe I worded the original question wrong. ??? If I'm using TSI an oil for bearings, why would I need a bearing packer for a grease? Using TSI I'm left with only two greases, yamaha for most interior surfaces and cal's for the drags.

Bryan Young

Aloha AlohaDan,

You will need to grease bearings that are under pressure, such as pinion gear and crank shaft bearings.  If your reels do not have these bearings, then the bearing packers are not necessary.

What reels are you servicing and what is the purpose of those reels?  Casting, trolling, jigging,...

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

AlohaDan

Bryan I mainly use Penn's:  GLD 30, 16 Vsx, Int. 975 LD, 330 LD, Couple of old Senators, a 9/0 and a 12/0 I haven't got around to doing anything with.

I fish out of a Hobie kayak and also a 21 foot Alii Kai, mainly trolling, some jigging for bait (weke/opelu) . So these guys get wet.

Looking at revamping one reel for spectra so I can use  maki doggu (mono stretches too much to release bag).

While I have magged  the 975 I use it mainly for slow trolling for aku/shibi. Not many opportunities to cast.

Nessie Hunter

Best Bearing protection =  Grease packed with Shields.
(Last much longer, waterproofs metals best)

Next Best = Grease packed without shields.
(wont stay in bearing as long, but still very good adhesion)

Last good protection = Quality oil (TSI 321 currently top of list)
Wont last as long. ??? 
Vastly improves casting with much lower viscosity then grease.

Trolling or non casting Reels, Pressure pack all bearings (Shields on).

Reels needing good to best casting ability.   
TSI (Oil) in Spool Bearings, Pressure Grease pack all other Bearings.

If you are not using these Reels for Casting and they are out on the Yak getting saltwater in them all the time.   
BEST is to Pressure pack "all" Bearings with Marine Grease.
You may also want to look into Bushings, They would be much better suited for this application.

"Pressure Pack" = Bearing Packer with Grease gun for Pressure packing through Shields.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

If you are trolling, I would pack the bearings.  21' Alii Kai?  Nice.

If you don't have a bearing packer, and would like to see how they work, for the price of grease and a plate lunch, I'm sure you could convince Kamuwela to pack your bearings if you are on Oahu.

Lois at 5O7S also has a set.  I'm not sure what they charge.

If you want to buy a set, PM your address and I'll get a set out to you.

Aloha,
Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

AlohaDan

Bryan

PM onto your way.

Aloha

Dan