snapper

Started by broschro, July 18, 2012, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

Caught this one on the gls 45 lever drag reel, had it set up with a 6 foot 50# fluorocarbon leader and 1 ft wire, and ½ once led. put on a 6to 8 " grunt and  cast it out trough the many cudas in the area ,10 min later drag is screaming  and fish on, I was thinking cuda, king, and when it started to pull like it did I was like cobia! Got this beast up to the boat and snapped a few shoots and put the stick on him 36 ½ "got him back in the water amongst the cudas and he took off I thought! My buddy says there he is behind the boat 10 yards or so flopping. I looked at the crew and said I'm not going to let this happen! :( jumped in amongst the cudas and went after him. I garbed him and started to swim back to the boat looking down at the twelve to fifteen cud'as below .my crew was on, had a rope in the water and got me back to the boat to try and get this big boy on his way and we think he finely did make it? we hope. PLEASE NOAA open up this fishery so this does not happen anymore. http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q528/broschro/photosnapper.jpg

redsetta

Nice work mate - great story  ;)

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Gman_WC

Nice one and your brave for getting in to save red.
I had a friend that was snorkeling in Hawaii and got bit on the hand bad.
As near as he could tell Mr Cuda liked the shiney ring on his finger. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

Good Man Broschro.  Sounds like you fished near a closed area and no one is taking cudas.  Am I correct?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

A true Sportsman will do everything to help their fishery....good job and that you.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broschro

Quote from: Pescachaser on July 19, 2012, 12:47:10 AM
Good Man Broschro.  Sounds like you fished near a closed area and no one is taking cudas.  Am I correct?  Dominick
The cudas are supper thick on all the artificial reefs right now. No one that I know takes theme, and the red snapper has been closed for two years, but they are considering reopening soon I hope! People have been catching plenty lately.

Dominick

Wahoo are good eating.  I was told that they are basically the same fish.  Are cudas not good eating?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kamuwela

lol most locals wont eat them.     

Normslanding

Great Baracuda can be toxic, un like pacific Baracuda . They are sure not in the Wahoo class for eating .

redsetta

Quote...most locals won't eat them.
Same in NZ - while they're perfectly edible, they tend to have a lot of small bones and can carry a worm in their flesh.
They're really common here in winter, but I believe ours are 'barracouta' (rather than a true 'barracuda') and are actually a type of mackerel.
Great bait though! ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

day0ne

Great barracuda that live around coral are the #1 cause of ciguatera poisoning. In most of the Gulf (of Mexico) they are considered trash and an annoyance, though the food value is considered very good
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Clem

Quote from: redsetta on July 19, 2012, 10:42:38 PM
Quote...most locals won't eat them.
Same in NZ - while they're perfectly edible, they tend to have a lot of small bones and can carry a worm in their flesh.
They're really common here in winter, but I believe ours are 'barracouta' (rather than a true 'barracuda') and are actually a type of mackerel.
Great bait though! ;)
Cheers, Justin

Good strip bait for Hapuka (Grouper)

broschro

Quote from: day0ne on July 20, 2012, 04:47:37 AM
Great barracuda that live around coral are the #1 cause of ciguatera poisoning. In most of the Gulf (of Mexico) they are considered trash and an annoyance, though the food value is considered very good
I have read somewhere that the smaller ones are good to eat, I just haven't tried yet.