Baby Back Ribs with Spiced Apple Cider Mop

Started by Bill B, July 19, 2012, 12:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Love the New Topic...let me start with my favorite BBQ recipe for Baby Back Ribs, found this in a Ace Hardware-Weber BBQ Flyer in Lompoc, CA:

4 cups Apple Cider
1/2 cup shallots-minced
1-3 serrano peppers-minced
1/2 cup ketchup
4 tblspn white wine vinegar
1/2 can tomato paste
2 tblspn brown sugar
1 tblspn kosher salt
1 tblspn black pepper

6 slabs Baby Back Ribs

>Combine apple cider, shallots, serrano peppers in sauce pot, reduce to half
>Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and remove from heat
>Allow ribs to come to room temperature and place on indirect heat, bone side down...I like 170-190 degrees Fahrenheit...for 5-6 hours
>During the last hour, baste the meat side 3-4 times, letting the sauce dry between coats to caramelize, then turn bone side up and baste 2 more....be careful to not let the mop sauce burn!!!
>Continually add wood chips to the fire, I usually burn 3lbs hickory chips each time...to 10 lbs charcoal.....I've discovered cheap charcoal is just that...CHEAP....and will not hold a good temperature
>Gotta use apple cider, apple juice does not work!! (Never tried Hard Cider...but just might have to try it...in the sauce not the glass....but then maybe both....)

Notes: I DO NOT boil my ribs before BBQ'ing.....I let them slow cook/smoke on the BBQ...I've been known to smoke them for more than 6 hours...a Char-Griller/Smoker BBQ is my weapon of choice...doneness is always based on the the ribs...never the time...when in doubt cut a slab in half to check ...usually when the meat has pulled 3/8" from the end of the bone are they done.  I prefer back loin ribs to spare ribs...less fat and better flavor.

Thanks for the New Topic....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Update...got hungry for BBQ, ran to the store and found Beef Ribs on sale,  used the Apple Cider Mops Sauce on the ribs at the top of the photo and just salt and pepper on the bottom slab.....used the extra shallots and chili peppers, seasoned a sliced potato with olive oil, and cooked  that on the grill with the corn too...anyway 6 hours, 10 lbs charcoal, 3 lbs hickory chips later you can see the results....oooh and a couple ShokTops too..

Dominick

Holy Moly!  Tarfu did you say you live nearby?  I just choked on my saliva.  Great photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Now I have to krank up the smoker,I'm getting very hungry! :P
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Nessie Hunter

OK, JUST STOP IT YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Killin me...

The Drool is starting to stain my short, pants & chair!

;D           ;D              ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bill B

Kinda living in two places right now....Sacramento during the week and back home in Corona on the weekends....just got a call from the kids and they say they're hungry...might have to do them again this weekend.... ;D..either way gonna do the potato, shallot, chili pepper and olive oil again...forgot to mention to add garlic powder, dried oregano\basil, salt and pepper to the potatoes...ohh by the way Nessie here's a before and after pics...Sorry brother had to do it..

Before

After ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Tarfu, that looks soo good. I just got done dinner a little while ago and somehow I feel like cranking up the grill. Thanks for sharing, I'll be giving this a shot ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

>:(

Your making it easy to dislike you buddy!!!   LOL

Single and starving, live on PB&J.....  :P
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!