Penn 113H Eccentric lever problem

Started by miamipescador, July 19, 2012, 04:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamipescador

Just opened up the new reel. Found that the spool would not engage, and that when you tried to, the switch would jump back to freespool mode. Took many pictures of the whole process and hope to put it on here but would like some help with this.

The pinion and sleeve seem to be moving up and down so that does not seem to be the problem, but the eccentric just wont lock into place. 

What can it be?
Thanks

seaeagle2

Somebody with more experience will answer, but I've had issues like that when the shaft didn't go all the way into the bearing so the pinion gear was riding too high. You have to make sure the end of the shaft is all the way down into the bearing.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

It's quite possible that the eccentric lever spring is in the wrong position.  Will await pics.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

miamipescador

How did i miss that  ;D
Going to open it back up and give it a shot, will post pics in a bit but i think i found the culprit

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

miamipescador

I think the problem is that my eccentric spring is a tad too short?
Here are some pics.
Free Spool

Engaged

I also notice that when i engage, your springs seem to be alot tighter than mines.... Any ideas?
The owner claims it has a trigger free quick spool spring...?

miamipescador

The spring just loads back up when lever is engaged, and doesn't seem to be at the point where it should be to stay bent

miamipescador

Is the eccentric lever supposed to lock in place on full even if the whole sideplate isn't together?

Bryan Young

The eccentric spring should always be under load or preloaded in both positions.  Quite possibly it's the wrong spring.  Many springs look alike, but have slight differences, including length.  See if the local shop has any parts and see if you can get one from them.  You may also want to try to stretch it out a bit and put it back in the reel.

miamipescador

Thanks Bryan.
Tried the stretching and while it feel alot better since it's actually putting pressure on the lever towards the free spool position, when it turn the lever up to engage the spring won't hold and just pops back to the freespool position.
I talked to the previous owner and he told me it might have the wrong spring and that he will send me a few.

Will wake up tomorrow and have another try at it, need some sleep and am a little frustrated lol

Alto Mare

You need a new spring, the tip should be sitting between the two pegs. You can shape it back but it won't help, it will go right back.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

miamipescador

Just got the new spring and that doesn't seem to solve the problem....
I think the problem lies that the eccentric lever doesn't extend to where it needs to so that the mechanism locks down. It stops quite a bit back and it just springs back into freespool.

miamipescador

Okay i just took a couple of pictures to give you guys a better idea of whats going on.

This is the reel with the eccentric lever backed of to free spool mode with the new spring.

When in tension(as far as the lever goes forward)

I checked the part numbers and they matched the ones form the 113h, but the weird thing is that the eccentric has 250 written on it.... The part number should be 19-113.
I'm guessing this is the culprit, just want to make sure before ordering the part.

miamipescador

So i apparently have a jigmaster eccentric on a 4/0, o god

Irish Jigger

Check the eccentric lever is 21-66. There may be more odd ball parts in that reel. :-\