Older Penn International 20

Started by Hamakuamoi, August 17, 2012, 02:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamakuamoi

When I set my drag at 6 lbs at the strike indicator I do not have any free spool. If I adjust it to free spool it is way to loose at strike. Would that be the spring wearing out?

Thanks,

Alex

kamuwela

ive seen alot of penns lose free spool from salt build up between the cam and right plate. i have also seen the cam housing pitted. the pitting causes the locating pins to hang up. aloha and good luck

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

REK

Is the reel clean, greased, oiled? Sometimes levers and knobs and such hang up if the innards are not clean.

alantani

assuming everything else is put together properly, check the bellevilles.  if they are thin and in a "()()" configuration, then 6 pounds might be about right.  you could then easily increase the drag range by changing out the belleville configuraiton to "(())" or "((())" or by using thicker bellevilles. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Hamakuamoi,
    Before you start rifling questions out there maybe an introduction... first impressions are lasting impressions.
By the way, welcome
Dom

Makule

There are actually a couple of other possibilities about the limited range of drag adjustment:  First is that the eccentric cam that pushes the plate against the drag disk is worn (i.e., it does not push the plate far enough); and Second, the drag washer is worn and too thin (and/or smooth/glazed).  My old 50 had this same "problem" and I ground the eccentric cam slope so that it was steeper.  Wouldn't recommend this.  As Alan has suggested, changing the arrangement of the belleville washers is a better option and, if don't properly, can give you a wide range of drag adjustments.

BTW, a 20 is probably overkill for moi, but maybe not for some monsters in Hamakua.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.