Penn International 70VS - newer version

Started by erikpowell, July 20, 2012, 12:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Hey gang.... Hope everyone is doing well today!

I'm looking at a Penn 70VS.... someone serviced this reel before me, because there's blue grease inside and it's not mine !

anyway, the spool bearing retaining ring (key 173) was cracked when i got to it...and now it's broken  ::)
mysticparts will be weeks away and don't really want to wait.....

Is it ok to leave it out ? and finish up this reel as is?
Whats the consensus?

Vinaka !  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

redsetta

G'day Erik,
I wouldn't - but, I haven't seen a lot of V series so wiser heads may have a different view.
Is there an engineers locally that stocks internal circlips?
If not, I may be able to post one up if you've got a measurement...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

kamuwela

there must be a reason its there and that its broken. if you have to leave it out then check it with some drag pressure and see if its ok, you never know. good luck let us know how it turns out

Keta

Quote from: redsetta on July 20, 2012, 12:27:27 AM
G'day Erik,
I wouldn't - but, I haven't seen a lot of V series so wiser heads may have a different view.
Is there an engineers locally that stocks internal circlips?
If not, I may be able to post one up if you've got a measurement...
Cheers, Justin

I had to convert this to US English to understand it but that's what I'd do.  Get the proper size internal snap ring from a auto parts store.  If you need dimentions I can take one of my 70's apart and measure the part.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

Thanks for the input fellas.. Cheers Justin ....and for the offer Keta...
Kamu, i think whoever serviced it before me cracked it and I ended up snapping it in two.
However,  i think problem solved....
Even thought the clip was broken in two pieces, I was able to wedge the two pieces of the clip back into place where they maintain a pretty solid pressure fit!  8)
it actually takes quite a bit of effort to remove the two pieces as they need to be bent a bit up and sprung out...
I think the two pieces will hold just fine! I didn't bother to look for a replacement.

I'm sure if there's a problem, that reel will be back to me very soon..it's out fishing as we speak.
Cheers ya'll
Erik

redsetta

Nice one Erik.
Postage between NZ and Fiji is fairly quick (at least, it was last time I was at Cloudbreak ;)), so feel free to PM me if you need anything sent over.
Cheers, Justin

erikpowell

Sweet as Justin! Cheers! ... Cloudy is pumping today mate!

redsetta

D'oh! And here I am behind a desk...  :-\
Can't complain, though - I've been very fortunate over the years ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin

kamuwela

good going eric now go get the fish good luck.

Dominick

Erik:  Good to see you back on the site.  How's the fishing in Fiji?  How about posting some photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.