GRILLED BARRACUDA

Started by LTM, July 20, 2012, 05:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Thanx Bryan/Allan for this section,

When I first started fishing So Cal waters a few decades ago, I was told that Barracuda was kind of a "junk fish" and didnt really taste good.  Well, finally found a recipe:

First-off (especially on party-boats), I bleed-out all my catch in my sack with the fish's head pointing down.  The meat taste's much better to me.

OK, remove the skin from the fillets and remove the blood-line from the fillet. This is very important for me with Tuna, Barracuda, etc..

Marrinate the fillets in the frig (approx 15-20 minutes total both sides) in "Itallian dressing (w/cheese flakes)" that I get from CostCo.  The vinegar in the Italian draws out alot of the oil in the Cuda and the seasonings and cheese flakes melt into the meat. I marinate in a glass Pyrex dish, I dont have the fillet's "swimming" in the marinade; just enough to cover the edges of the fillets, then turn the fillets over half way thru the time.

When grilling I use a medium to medium-low heat so the meat doesnt stick to the grill.  My goal in grilling all fish is to cook until the flesh is opaque/translucent in color.  With Cuda you want to be careful not to turn the fish over on the grill too much for it will fall apart.

Since I LOVE garlic this is totally optional.  You can sprinkle small amount of minced garlic (or splash of minced garlic juice) on the fillets. Or substitue lime/lemon for the garlic.

Leo

joel8080

Hi

Next time try Barracuda Ceviche it's fantastic. But only Pacific Cuda

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

miamipescador

Our Barracuda is very good eating, nice white meat that tastes great when cut into steaks and deep fried.
I've only ate it once when i was a few years younger and had just gotten into fishing. It was the first "BIG" fish i had caught. Luckily for me it had no ciguatera, out cudas tend to get that.
I've avoided it ever since, most i eat now consists of snapper, grouper, and seatrout which is all better than it.

Baja Bev

I also agree that bleeding and icing ASAP is the key to great cuda. On the smaller fish, after removal of the blood line, I would  baste the fillet with butter, sprinkle with seasonings and then roll it up like a pinwheel. Then I'd make a tin foil boat and cook it on the BBQ grill.
Alan's reel repair saves lives! Just ask my friend who dropped my Penn on the garage floor.

doradoben

So. Cal party boat barracuda seems to degrade the longer it's in the bags. The only time that I take them home is if they are caught late in the day.

MarkT

I've soaked cuda in milk to neutralize the fishy taste then marinated in Italian dressing and grilling.  Tasted good!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

spottybastard

I tried to smoke some baries once, it was the fishy tasting thing ever.  Now I am strictly C&R with them.

DaBigOno

Wow!   You guys make it sound ONO!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bunnlevel Sharker

Y'all can eat em, I want the heads for bait!
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Yes! Me too!  Just cut the head off and You can have the rest. Sharks love some Cuda head! :D
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Another vote for Ceviche with Pacific Cudas.
Used to catch them all the time in the kelp beds back in San Diego, I'd take all they didn't want.
Huge bowl of ceviche, a few bag of chips and a case or two Pacifico, always welcome at a party  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."