ANODIZED SPOOL MAINTENANCE

Started by LTM, July 20, 2012, 08:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Spinner Guys (aka Sal and company),

Should I be concerned about the nicks/boat-rash that gouge-out small dents on the surface of the spools on my aluminum anodized spinners; if so what should I do for maintenance to these?  And what do you guys do for the nicks that get around the lip area where line comes off the spool as well as those small nicks on the bail?

Thanx,

Leo

Alto Mare

Hello Leo, I would be concerned about nicks on the spool lip. I usually don't get any there, but if I did I would sand it smooth and put some kind of protection coat there, maybe nail polish. How did you nick the bail? are you resting the hook there?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Hey Sal,

The spools in question are on my "guest" spinner spools.  I only use spinners in the 2-8# range, the 10-20# spinners are for newbie's and guests.  Ill use nail polish on the boat rash as you mentioned.  In regards to the spool lips and bail; in the past I was hesitant to sand so I opted to smooth instead of remove.  I use the 3M green tuff pads to smooth the roughness from the bail on one of my reels.  Will probably do the same for the spool lips and if not good enough try some ultra fine sand paper or slurry from one of my ultra fine knife stones, then coat with nail polish.  Is there something better to use than nail polish?

Thanx,

Leo

Alto Mare

I hear you Leo, I just don't think that smoothing the roughness will work if the nicks are too deep. You don't want any rough spots on that lip or your line won't last long. I don't know how bad your nicks are, maybe some kind of filler might work, but it need to be strong. I did not have that problem on my reels, but I know it does happen. I purchased a spinner on ebay a while back and it did have a nice size nick on the lip, all I did was to sand it smooth and it's doing just fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Thanx Sal,

The nicks on the lips and bail are only slight. Ill keep an eye on the line and if necessary try some light/fine sanding which should take care of it then seal with nail polish or something.  You know Sal the nicks are so light that I could probably seal with nail polish and maybe (not sure about this next step) sand with very fine abrasive (baking soda/toothpaste, etc).  What do you think?

Leo

Alto Mare

That does sound good Leo. You mentioned that the nicks are slight, I would start with something mild and work my way up as needed.
BTW, Dominick does use nail polish, only not on reels. It is clear though.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 21, 2012, 05:57:22 PM
That does sound good Leo. You mentioned that the nicks are slight, I would start with something mild and work my way up as needed.
BTW, Dominick does use nail polish, only not on reels. It is clear though.
Your giving away a secret, I'll scratch your eyes.   :-*  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

You guys, make me laugh. :D :D :D

I use pure carnuba automotive wax on my spools  provides a good hard coat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Bryan,

Thanx for your tip.  How do you apply the carnuba wax (dont want to assume a thing)?

Leo

Bryan Young

Did you see Karate Kid's Wax on, wax off in a circular motion?  Same thing except tiny circular motion. ;D

Just kidding.  Just apply a light coat, wipe off.  I like at least 3 coats but more would be better.  each layer you are putting on a micron layer.  If you look at a car with a deep shine, it probably has 10-15 coats.

Before, when I was single and completely into cars, I used to put at least 6 coats when detailing high performance cars.  My cars, 20 coats over a span of 2 weeks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Thanx Bryan for your response,

Has anybody used parafin wax, like in spool coating for braid?  If so, how do you apply this stuff?

Leo

coastalobsession

I have a reel cover i put on mine every where i go. When I stop to fish i take it off, but other than that it stays on. Not only does it protect it from nicks on the spool but also the salt water. After fishing I take the spool off and wipe down with corrosion x.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning