Penn 113MTL (Metal Senator)

Started by getbent, August 12, 2009, 11:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getbent

Just received this reel from Charkbait and proceeded to take it apart.  I was very impressed.  (Especially for a reel that only cost me $120)  Every screw had grease on it, including the screws for the stand.  I took every thing apart and it had grease everywhere it was supposed to.   Except for Cals grease on the drags, and a little corrosion x on the outside of the spool, this reel is pretty much ready to go.  I took apart the right spool bearing and the bearing that goes in the cover plate.  I was able to get the keepers off the spool bearing but I couldn't get the side plates off without bending them, so it is now an open bearing.  The bearing in the side plate had no grease on the outside and a clear grease inside, I removed that and repacked it with penn grease.  I could not figure out how to get to the bearing in the "bearing cup assembly", so I just flooded it with corrosion x till the fluid coming out was all corrosion x color.  The free spool is not very impressive without line and I can feel a little bump on one of the spool bearings, so I'll get new ones if free spool sucks after adding line.

So Alan, how can I get the bearing out of the bearing cup assembly? 

If you guys need a beefy 4/0 reel that will outlast your children, you may want to consider this one.
I'm going to fish it with 80 spectra and 50 on top.  I didn't replace the top crossbars so I can fish it with an open top.  We'll see if the plastic side cover can handle this, it sure feels like it can.

alantani

glad to hear it.  make a puller out of stainless steel welding rod material like the one in the bearing post.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0 if you've got good juju today, it will come right out!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

getbent

Alan, is the metal piece in front of the bearing cap pressed in?  It's got ribs or petals on the outer edge and appears to be pressed.  I pulled on it pretty hard and there is no give.  Replacements are only $12, but I want to touch that bearing and make it better.  Does that metal piece come out with out destroying the bearing cap? 

I'm waiting for a reply from Penn, but that may take a while.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!