Penn drag numbers

Started by p-deverett, July 22, 2012, 07:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p-deverett

Had a raining Sunday here in NZ today so spend the day upgrading and testing drags, I had my son pull line straight from the reels so not mounted on a rod for the following measurements.

Penn metal senator, stock ht100's with cals grease , 25lbs with the drag locked down, may need a carbon fiber drag under the gear

Progear Pacifica 3500, same internals as penn 113h with upgraded drag to a 5 stack ht-100, cals grease and a carbon fiber washer from Dawn under the gears, 22lbs with drag locked down

Jigmaster with stainless sleeve, accurate frame, I tried a 5 stack from Dawn but could only get 4 drags to fit, 8lbs drag, may need more experimenting

Shimano tld 15/30 with Alan's drag (ht-100) and bearing upgrade 15lbs drag locked down.

All the reels were smooth, drags were consistent and not jerky, the drags in the metal senator were getting warm after repeated tests.

I haven't spooled my penn senator tank so can't test yet but its got new drags plus under the gear, Lees stainless dog and accurate narrow frame. will spool up the 80lb braid. I need to get a dremell so I can double dog it.

Incidently the bridge on the progear must be slightly different than the penn because my stainless sleeve kept binding, I presume changing out the bridge for a penn one will solve the problem, they look the same but must be slightly different.

Well it was a fun rainny Sunday
Peter

Alto Mare

Quote from: p-deverett on July 22, 2012, 07:29:30 AM
Incidently the bridge on the progear must be slightly different than the penn because my stainless sleeve kept binding, I presume changing out the bridge for a penn one will solve the problem, they look the same but must be slightly different.

Well it was a fun rainny Sunday
Peter
The progear bridge is different from the penn, the pin hole on the ss sleeve doesn't line up. You could drill another hole, but you need to be precise.
I would just get a penn bridge plate.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

You could sand the pinn down a bit. That is what I often do with my PGs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Nice work Peter.
Thanks for sharing the results.
As you've noted, the Jigmaster appears slightly awry - 12-15lb being the target range, even in stock form.
Sounds like a great selection of reels you've got there ;) ;D
Good luck with the Tank mods.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

don't pull on these too hard.  the way you find the limit is when you damage the gears. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!