TLD 25 not freespooling

Started by lyt, July 22, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

there is a brass lever shaft body, also called a cam, and it has a square hole. is the hole still square>  if not, it has to be replaced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

OK,  I think that Plop, is just the curve of the Cam sitting down in the grooves.
Cross pin & shaft is falling hard into Left side plate.  
Check that that cut out is clear and not warped, full of grease, nicked etc...  
Stronger/newer/weaker/older Spring in Drag could make it 'snappier' (or not) also...
Grease in the hole. Etc etc..  

You have some room for thicker Bellvilles...  
If you get freespool, then your good...
You should get reasonable freespool at strike setting up to close to 20/30% of max drag??
Thats very arbitrary number, could be less or more..  

If your getting 'Max' drag for the reel specs, and enough freespool ~ your OK.....

They all seem to be diff in some slight ways, if it performs like you need/expect, its probably good to go!!

You should Feel confident that you did a good job...    ;D
Because it appears that you did....   Kudo's...  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

lyt

Quote from: alantani on July 22, 2012, 11:30:21 PM
there is a brass lever shaft body, also called a cam, and it has a square hole. is the hole still square>  if not, it has to be replaced. 

no it is square.   the reel parts are in very good condition overall.   

im just missing the "pop" when it clicks out of freespool.    If I had to give my less than expert opinion, I think it is NOT working correctly.   the drag just cant be right....unless these reels are now a godzilla compared to before.   
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

redsetta

G'day lyt,
With the lever in freespool and the pre-load dial and spring removed, does the cam (lever shaft body) fully bed down into the cavity in the lever?
If so, does it lift when you push the lever forward?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lyt

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on July 22, 2012, 11:33:01 PM
OK,  I think that Plop, is just the curve of the Cam sitting down in the grooves.
Cross pin & shaft is falling hard into Left side plate.  
Check that that cut out is clear and not warped, full of grease, nicked etc...  
Stronger/newer/weaker/older Spring in Drag could make it 'snappier' (or not) also...
Grease in the hole. Etc etc..  

You have some room for thicker Bellvilles...  
If you get freespool, then your good...
You should get reasonable freespool at strike setting up to close to 20/30% of max drag??
Thats very arbitrary number, could be less or more..  

If your getting 'Max' drag for the reel specs, and enough freespool ~ your OK.....

They all seem to be diff in some slight ways, if it performs like you need/expect, its probably good to go!!

You should Feel confident that you did a good job...    ;D
Because it appears that you did....   Kudo's...  

appreciate it ness....  i do take pride in at least fooling myself that i am intelligent:)  lol

the arbor and cross pin are clear.....i did have to ream them out a tad, I was very careful not to take too much ....they were tight and not moving well at first....but now I am convinced it is not the problem, it slides in and out easily when i put the spool in and out.  

to me it's not the noise......   it is the visual seeing the pre dial go in and out.    that to me is the pop.....regardless of the volume :)

the bottom line is that i feel it HAS to "pop" when i go in and out of free spool.   I am only thinking this because my other 3 reels pop.   when i get my caliper in the mail, i can eliminate the bellevilles, but for now it is driving me crazy, i will even take a video...if necessary.

have dis assembled the reel 3 times, and while i dont mind the learning curve and the practice....I am getting a little frustrated.   is my shaft twisted?    should the shaft be perfectly square with the grooves in the lever or is it supposed to be like my picture?    i could swear they should be aligned but if you guys say it doesn't matter, then i wont worry about it.    

lyt

Quote from: redsetta on July 23, 2012, 03:14:01 AM
G'day lyt,
With the lever in freespool and the pre-load dial and spring removed, does the cam (lever shaft body) fully bed down into the cavity in the lever?
If so, does it lift when you push the lever forward?
Cheers, Justin

not in my opinion, becasue as you can see in my picture....the square shaft part does not align with the lever shaft square.   now if i move the lever into a position where i can make it flush down in the lever, (approx somewhere between free and strike) once i put the preload in...i cant move the lever at all.  

it goes into the lever and into the grooves....BUT NOT ALL THE WAY DOWN INTO THE GROOVES. 

lyt

Quote from: kamuwela on July 22, 2012, 11:18:53 PM
could it be the stack is too thick and preventing the shaft to fully protrud? have you checked the bellevilles on your other reel? another way is swap spools and see what happens. if its all good then check whats differnt between the two spool set up, ie shims, belleville thickness and configuration.

i know the other spool will probably be fine since it is still stock.......   i have not upgraded them.

lyt

Quote from: alantani on July 22, 2012, 11:30:21 PM
there is a brass lever shaft body, also called a cam, and it has a square hole. is the hole still square>  if not, it has to be replaced.  

BTW alan, those handles are AMAZING.   no wonder people rave about them!  

check is in the mail.....   im sure you've heard that one before.....  

redsetta

G'day lyt,
The shaft may be twisted, but it'd be a first for me.
How tight are you pre-loading?
At light to normal settings, the cam should pop up easily as the lever pushes it towards the handle and the spool moves right towards the drag plate.
I can understand the frustration, but success will be all the sweeter once achieved ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lyt

Quote from: redsetta on July 23, 2012, 03:26:03 AM
G'day lyt,
The shaft may be twisted, but it'd be a first for me.
How tight are you pre-loading?
At light to normal settings, the cam should pop up easily as the lever pushes the cam towards the handle and the spool moves right towards the drag plate.
I can understand the frustration, but success will be all the sweeter once achieved ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin

the bottom line is that there is NO visual movement of the pre-dial in and out at any drag setting at all.   light, medium, heavy, barely on at all,etc.   the pre dial should pop in and out right?

the only thing i can think is that i need to adjust the bellevilles.   I can eliminate this issue once i get my caliper in the mail.

one other thought occurred to me as I was disassembling my other reels.   the 2nd 25 that i took apart has a pressure release spring that is twice the size of the first one.    so the question is.....  did shimano adjust their reels at any time?   or make a different batch with slightly different parts?    i could understand having this difficulty if this was the case.    

Nessie Hunter

Funny you would mention Spring sizes..
I just did 3 reels for a friend & upgraded handles etc..

One of the TLD 30 II had an odd spring in the Pre Dial.
Was heavier and heavier gauge then others I have done..
It was also missing another part and had obviously been serviced before..

I "assumed" it was the wrong spring and replaced it.  Works much better with less pressure on the PreDial....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Bryan Young

That smaller spring looks like the one between the pressure plate bearing and the spool bearing.  Yup, probably serviced and was not put back together properly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lyt

actually the spring was twice as LONG  not twice as tall.    it was very strange.

anyway it is my b'day....today and not really planning to work on my reels....although i wouldn't mind.    

i will have to try to get some line on the spool and check but I dont suppose i will really be able to troubleshoot until my caliper comes.    

stay tuned!

o BTW there was something that Dawn mentioned before alan sent me all the parts...  she said the washer was thicker so you dont need the extra washers.....did she mean the drag washer?   i still dont see how this would affect the pop.

lyt

if someone could do a check for me..... 

take off the pre program dial off of a tld.....   and tell me if the SQUARE part of the brass lever shaft body (cam)   is sitting ALL THE WAY DOWN into the grooves when the lever is in full freespool.   the deeper question (no pun intended) is this:  does the SQUARE OPENING  in the lever shaft body slide onto the square of the main shaft when you install it.   

PLEASE look at my previous picture to see how mine cannot physically do this .....and tell me if this is normal.   my brain wants to say this is the problem, because it appears that the square shaft needs to fit into the square hole......

lol....come on ...  i learned this when i was 2 years old :):):)

Bryan Young

The square portion of the shaft shall protrude above the lever piece so that the cam can engage with the shaft. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D