Tranx HG

Started by reelgood, July 24, 2012, 08:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelgood

I posted this elsewhere, will write some more comments later but the pictures are self explanatory.  I called Shimano today to price a main gear and pinion for the PG to see how much it would be as it is a fast swap, it is only $50 for both gears but then you need a new drag stack and just the bottom drag disc (part # 4498) is $20+ but there may be a way around this as one should fit the other but not the other way around?  I didn't price the whole drag stack, stopped at part # 4498.  The drag came greased except for the disc under the main gear.  The top fiber drag is extremely thin, I could force Cal's thru the tiny pores in it with a soft bristle brush. Gears and sideplates were pretty dry definitely needs prepping for saltwater use.

With the ARB removed, both A/R dogs engage simultaneously and fully synchronized, each and every time.  You can see I have swapped the white handle knob for a stella SW handle knob, direct swap, 3 grams lighter and a more comfortable knob.  I didn't sit and play with it long enough to see if the auto engage can be easily disabled, as it is a concern for some when casting due to the weight of the handle/knob.  Fit 310 meters of Daiwa BB 80# braid, which iirc is similar in actual diameter to JB60 hollow and Power Pro 65.

"took photos of the insides as I needed to prep it for salt...the other main gear in the comparison photos is from a Trini 40 - same diameter but the gear teeth on the Tranx HG are tiny, drag stack is impressive though. The crankshaft hole in the handle arm is the same as the Trinidad 30 size and so a bunch of other handles that share that same size hole will fit - Saltiga, pro gear(in photo), etc"

Nessie Hunter

I just read a Tackle tour review of the Daiwa Lexa 300. "Excellent"..
And have read the Tranx Reviews also... "Excellent" but pricey...

They seem to have a lot in common as far as size and strong drags etc..

But the Tranx $500 price tag as compared to the Lexa $200 Price tag seems far apart to say the least.....

I have been using the Revo & Toro series reels for over a year. 
They seem to be working fine so far..   
Only comparing them as Big Strong "New" Low Profile Reels..

Any thoughts on these guys/gals????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Great post reelgood - thanks for sharing.
They haven't arrived in NZ yet, but I imagine the domestic purchase price will require a first born or limb ;) ;D
Nice-looking bit o' gear though.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

reelgood

I wouldn't pay 500 for it, but buying slightly used for $400 or so is only about 10% more than the street price of a new Trinidad A series so it's somewhat more reasonable. 

Someone on another board mentioned they sheared the gears when the reel auto engaged during a cast, given the size of those teeth I'd imagine reeling against 25# of drag would also not be advisable.

I have a 10'6 spinning surf rod with lowrider guides I think I am going to slap this on there and see how 5-7 ounces casts

Just took a look at the Daiwa Lexa 300, I think I will stick with my Curado 300EJ, what new does the Lexa bring to the table? 

wallacewt

i was thinking of a tranx,not anymore