New Handles from Smoothdrags..

Started by Nessie Hunter, July 25, 2012, 06:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

Had my first request to put on some new Handles.  :o

My Friend who owns a couple of Pangas in Cabo (San Jose Del Cabo). 
Shameless plug to both his businesses';
http://mobil-medic.com/
http://www.pinospangas.com/

I do all his reels with special care as they stay in Cabo for long periods.
The Salt And conditions are very very harsh...

He is always adding to his gear, trying to get the best, and best variety he can.
This time he had a Beastmaster 20/50 II (2 Speed).
TLD 30 II (2 Speed).
Tiagra 30W II (2 Speed).

2 had broken handles and the Tiagra needed an upgrade handle..
We decided on Regular size for 2 and the Jumbo for the Tiagra..

I had never done just 'handles' before, so this was a good training lesson.
Drilling out and assembly was amazingly easy...

Putting on the new handles I could have used a third or fourth hand, but got it done.
Was easier the second and third time, So coordination is a big part of it..
I used the Blue Loctite on the threads like instructions said..
But I was thinking these are Cabo reels so??   Need something to protect them also from the salt..

I applied Loctite in the threads (male & Female threads) then as I tightened them down close to the Arm I applied some Marine grease, with a brush, at both sides of Handle under the washers & against the Arm.... Ahhhaaa!!!
A little more protection against the dreaded Saltwater corrosion that plagues the base of handles...

I was very happy with the way they turned out.   All 3 look very good and feel amazing compared to stock handles...   
Im sure "O" will be happy with them...

Big shout out to Dawn for all her help in doing this, we had some back & forth conversation, As this was my first attempt at drilling and replacing JUST the handle.
She really knows her stuff and is exceptionally helpful...

THANKS DAWN (again)...  :-)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Nice Frank.  I wanted to introduce myself to Othen and Augustin on my last trip but I was only in the marina for about 1/2 hour, as I did most of my fishing on this trip in Cabo.  Pino's Pangas has a very good reputation.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Yes they are a great outfit... 
Augustin Pino is highly respected...

"O" ~ Othan just picked up these Reels and his Trailer today.
He had the Trailer stored here for about 6 months.. 
I have 1 1/2 acres with plenty of room...
He bought it to be able to pull the Panga's out and service them.
He will be driving it down later this week, and staying for 11 days I think he said...

Super nice young man...
I hope he just knocks em dead with his businesses..
So far he is doing great....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

SoCalAngler

Nessie,

Looks good. Did you only upgrade the handle knob and not the arm also? I like the knobs very much but combined with the longer arm over the stock one the cranking power of the reels is increased. Thats what I did to my Tibbed TLD 30II.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dawn

Dawn