Backing off drags after a fishing trip

Started by Megalops, July 26, 2012, 04:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalops

I have always backed off the drags on my spinning and conventional reels after every use (religiously) & do not re-set them until I am ready to go fishing again.  I have heard that if you don't back them off the drag disks can be damaged.  Is this true, or am I just being anal retentive?   ??? ???

Jim

What harm can it do? It may not be needed but who cares?
I do it too . . . all my reels are stored after cleaning with drags backed off.

miamipescador

I do the same. Keep them tight for a washdown, then after they dry loosen up the drags until next outing

Bryan Young

Mine star drags stay at the same setting.  Lever drags are released after washing and drying.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

G'day Megalops,
Historically, many drag materials tended to compress over time, which would eventually compromise performance.
Some materials also eventually stuck to the metal washers if left tight.
CF doesn't compress in the same way and, when greased with PTFE, won't stick either.
As Bryan says, however, while that's generally fine with star drags, lever drags also tighten onto the pinion bearing, so I always back 'em off fully after drying.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

seaeagle2

We went fly fishing on the Yakima River with a guide and straight up before we got in the boat he told us, "Some people say I'm anal retentive, but I'm a retired Master Chief that served on Nuclear Subs.  On nuclear subs, we don't call it anal retentive, we call it "being careful".
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

with greased carbon fiber, you don't need to anymore.  that's one of the nice things about it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

I suspect it goes to how long the drag is tightened for, and what the materiel is made of.  With reels such as Penn 320/330, and 7000's, their center hubs can be torn loose from the main gears, making them useless for drag, as the hub is frozen to the driveshaft, while the gear just spins round and round.

This tear-away is the result of the drag being max tight all winter long for months on end,  allowing gearsets and drags to become friction-welded, or rusted as a blob.  I love it, as it keeps my wee repair gig moving forward, but the sports may not be impressed with a parts bill that could have been avoided, by simply backing off the star to nothing over winter. 

It depends on the sport....some do their own work, and never have problems, others don't get involved with that stuff, preferring to fish the reel to failure, then sending it out for fix.

Megalops

Thanks for the good advice-very useful.  I have greased CF drag disks on most of my reels so I may leave them set between fishing trips.  Then again old habits die hard-you can never be "too careful."  ;D

Nessie Hunter

As stated, I dont worry about the Carbontex at all...
BUT, I do worry about the Bellville/spring washer getting stressed and going flat.
So I try and remember to loosen the drags....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!