Finally finished boat lift for new to me boat

Started by rpgoerlich, July 28, 2012, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpgoerlich

Finally finished bulkhead, boatlift & boat slung in the lift.
Picked up this 2007 26' TwinVee with twin 175 Suzuki 4strokes, Furuno GPS/Radar & Depth/Fishfinder & trailer.
Hulls in great shape, motor warranty until 5/2014.

1st shakedown run fully loaded, out 50+miles resulted in 2.79mpg @ 5000rpm avg. Which is what my son and I were looking for. Far cry from what I've been getting on my 2000 Twinvee with 2010 twin 60 Suzukis which has been getting 4.1mpg. But it is a lot more room and will be more comfortable on those offshore overnighters we seem to be doing more of lately.

Alto Mare

Nice lift rpgoerlich and a great boat. I would think that criss crossed bracing would be required for that type of stucture, it appears to be over 14' tall at the low end.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Nice job RP.  I love the boat, though you wouldn't catch me overnighting in it.  After Sal's comment, I would at least check it out if you have not done so already.  I think about the boat swaying in the wind and putting side sway pressure on the structure.  It's worth checking out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Danhans

rpgoerlich

Thanks all.
I will be adding some cross bracing as well as some siding which will stiffin it up a bunch. Also be adding a lower dock for loading/unloading. On the right you can see my 20' TwinVee in a lift I built back in '04. Didn't want to make the same mistake, so this one is built for a 36'r ;D.

I've spent many a night out 100mi in the 20', most recent was back in March when we went out for Sword.
Went 2 for 2 , 45" throwback and a 51" we kept.

Dominick

Good man RP:  It's always a fine line making a suggestion, without insulting.  We are glad you are going to brace it.  We would like to see the finished product.  In my opinion, you are crazy.  I might go out a hundred miles on a cruise ship, but a 20 footer, uh uh not me.  Call me Wuss.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Good point Dominick, that is why I started my comment by saying nice structure and boat... and they are. I don't enjoy hurting anyones feelings, just gave a suggestion from my 35 years experience  in that field.
Wow RP, 100 out on a 20 footer, you're a real pirate.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rpgoerlich

I just noticed you are in CA.
I'm running out of Sargent,TX into the Gulf of Mexico.
You obviously have to pick your days weather wise in any case.
We keep a pretty close watch on wind, wave & weather patterns.

No feelins hurt here, I actually look for good constructive criticism, Appreciate all input.
I guess the word finished in my title was premature.

Alto Mare

RP, I forgot to mention your picture, nice shot of the sword. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sal

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!