850SSM drag stack........

Started by rscotth, July 28, 2012, 07:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscotth

I have finally acquired a used Penn 850SSM- been wanting one for a very long time.

I was just going through the reel as an inspection and adding cals to the drag stack. Once I had it apart the drag only has 2 of the HT100 fiber washers. Oddly enough there is a teflon washer (key # 56T) in the stack and it is shown that way in the schematic as well.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/850ssm.pdf

I decided to go ahead and drop the teflon and replace with a fiber drag washer in it's place. The 113H drag washers appear to be the same size and shape. I figured this would be a good upgrade since even my 5500SS has three fiber drag washers. It appears to operate real smooth in this configuration. Anyone have thoughts on this (good or bad I can take it).
RSH

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

That is exactly what we have been doing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

It is also a good idea to replace the teflon washer that goes under the spool, part #60,  Just use the same 6-60, all you need to do is to enlarge the ID a little, but try it first. You should have ( 3 ) 6-60 HT100 in the spool and ( 1 ) of the same for under the spool. Your reel is a little different than my 850SS, I do not own any ssm's and I'm not able to check for you.  Scotts doesn't have the right HT100 washer for that application on my 850'S, that is why I enlarge one of the 6-60"s. You mentioned a washer from a 113H, that washer is too big for that reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rscotth

QuoteThat is exactly what we have been doing.

Ok great, it seemed like the obvious move but I figured someone here has already done this if it's a good move.

QuoteIt is also a good idea to replace the teflon washer that goes under the spool, part #60

I was so concerned about changing the oem configuration that the one under the spool was skipped. I will be going back in a replace that one as well. I need more adult supervision when I work on these because I get all excited and loose focus- lol.

QuoteYou mentioned a washer from a 113H, that washer is too big for that reel

The drag washers I used were from this ebay auction. I was wrong as the auction actually said for Senator 111, 112 & 113L2 not "H". I wish I had the specific part numbers for the stacks individual pieces.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-carbon-drag-SENATOR-111-03-112-03-113L2-/110918608868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d343a7e4#ht_1355wt_1344  

Here is a picture of the above drag stack I robbed the fiber washer from for the teflon I had already replaced. You can see in the picture the fiber washers have the same i.d. / o.d. as the teflon and the thickness is also within a couple mils.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone's insight and comments..............

Alto Mare

I see what you mean rscotth, at the same time I'm hoping that you didn't really pay $17 for that set. Scotts at mysticparts.com has the set for $8.40, better yet try these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-DRAG-WASHER-KIT-6-060SP-/150856930624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231fc61540
all you would need is two octagon washers,or you could use yours, still better than $17. Dawn at smoothdrag.com might also have some, but I'm not sure if she offers the full kit.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rscotth

QuoteI'm hoping that you didn't really pay $17 for that set.

Even worse-not only did I buy it, I bought it for the wrong reel.  I bought these (BATF- Before Alan Tani Forum) thinking it was for a standard Senator 113. I have really come a long way in knowledge and procedures since finding this site. My hats off to everyone involved in the community.

So this stack has been sitting in the spare parts bin just waiting for an opportunity like this. Anymore I tend to use SBT just because of the wide selection, fast shipping and great customer service. Those guys are great..........

macka17

Hi.
Just as an addition to.
My 850 US made.Has a twin dog A\R conversion in it.
I got details from a Penn forum coupla yrs ago. Real simple and easy.
With the upgrade drag they a good reel for Kingies. G.T.s.
Macka

rscotth

If you have any info or a link for the DD conversion it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Alto Mare

rscotth, your reel doesn't have dogs, you will need a US made reel.

Macka, can you post a picture of your conversion from a couple of years ago, I would love to see it.
Thanks! Sal

rscotth

I have a 650ss that was my first Penn spinner. The years have taken it's toll on the frame from corrosion that started under the paint. I was planning to strip and powder coat the frame and rotor in the near future (double dogs would also be a nice upgrade). I did a DD on a 114H using your excellent tutorial (with a couple 9/0's waiting to get the same treatment).  ;) 

Alto Mare

I bet that 650SS is still working great,  even with a bad suit on ;D.

macka17

Sal.

I've stripped and taken a coupla photo's.But this Prog won't let me load.
Send me your Email and I'll get them to you that way OK

macka

Alto Mare

Macka,
your effort is appreciated.
Thank you! Sal

rscotth

Yes sal, the 650 still does work good and feels smoother / better balanced than the 850ssm.

mangrove

I have two of these 850ssm's, question, if I change the teflon washer under the spool, how does the aluminum anodization hold up?  Will the carbon fiber wear it off and start eating into the aluminum?