TLD 25 not freespooling

Started by lyt, July 22, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

Handle resistance almost always comes from one of two bearings. The most likely culprit is the pinion bearing. The left side spool bearing can also cause handle resistance.  Often these bearings seem OK until you apply pressure. If there is the slightest bit of grit, if the bearings is not absolutely smooth, then they need to be replaced.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

lyt

ok i am beginning to understand that it might be the bearing....i just don't want to accept it :(  because it rolled pretty good when i cleaned it out....   

so under pressure it seizes? if it is not perfect?

If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

kamuwela

exactly, the higher the drag the harder to turn. i thnk this must have been one of the first things i learned from alan.

lyt

Ok this is where you guys throw tomatoes at me.....

I changed the bearing to one that I knew for a fact was good....and same problem.   So my hunch that the bearing was not the issue was correct..... 

I started from scratch again, and i suddenly realized that because I tore the thing down so many times and reassembled..... I switched the order of the bellevilles and the bearing.    DOH! 

anyway, I put it back together and it works perfectly.   Love the reel and the action.   

now am going to put line on and test lbs.  I know how to test lbs....but not really sure how to measure freespool.  so how do you do it?

alantani

Quote from: lyt on July 29, 2012, 03:35:53 PM
Ok this is where you guys throw tomatoes at me.....

that's why we're here!   ;D

for free spool, just give it a spin and time how long you smile!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

Quotefor free spool, just give it a spin and time how long you smile!

Seems too technical :)

ok BTW I tried to untwist the old shaft to see if I could use it again......for the record, do not try this at home.   the funny thing is that it seemed to work at first, but i think it is out of round now and does not spin in the housing.