Penn 155 Beachmaster

Started by chris73, August 17, 2009, 08:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris73

Hi, new to the board, and really happy to have found it!  I have 5 if these reels - 3 of which I have replaced the drags in. And here is my issue...when fishing I have to crank the star down as tight as I can to bring in a small 2-3 lb. sea bass in 50-60 feet of water. The star also seems to have too much "play" now as well. They work, but don't feel right. I re-did an old Jigmaster as well and find the drag has to be set really tight on that as well. All parts are Penn HT-100. Any thoughts world be really apprecieted.

Thanks,
Chris

alantani

these reels use incredibly tiny drag washers.  compared to newer reels, it's perhaps a quarter of the total drag surface area.  there is also alot of "play" in these.  they are simply not the most precise reels on the market.  try removing the gear sleeve from the bridge plate and shimming it up with some thin washers.  that might tighten things up a little.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

chris73

Hey Alan, thanks for the response!

Do you mean to add another washer where the red colored washer sits under the gear? I just want these reels mint... so I can retire them. Silly, but it's my goal......  :-[

As an aside, I know these are not the best reels made, but for some reason, I have an affinity towards them... Perhaps because it was my first reel as a child.  :)  Maybe I should rely more on my Tekota for the Wreck/Reef work! LOL!

alantani

i replace the hard red (or black) fiber washer with a cut down penn ht-100 carbon fiber drag washer.  there are lots of parts of this reel that are loose.  you can spend hours tightening things up!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!