Spinning Reel Bearings Lube vs Grease

Started by miamipescador, August 01, 2012, 04:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamipescador

I have been servicing quite a few spinning reels lately and all of them suffer the same problem..."Grindiness"
I have noticed that this is mostly due to the bearing where the handle and opposite to handle bearings, as well as the line roller bearing on some shimano reels which i dare not open yet.
I have taken out the bearings and spun them and you can definitely feel some grindiness like of their were microscopic particles of sand in there. Is there a solution to this, or does the bearing need to be replaced? I've seen Alan's tutorials and while not on spinning reels, he uses compressed air(i think) to clean the bearings out, would this solve the problem?

The other question i wanted to ask is... If a spinning reel is new and you want to service it do you pack the bearings with grease to avoid this problem completely, or do you lube them as it might make the reel smoother?

Thanks,
Jorge.

Bryan Young

Jorge, when do you sleep?  It must be like 1:00 am there. :o

Once you feel grittiness in the bearings, that means there's rust.  It's highly unlikely that sand will enter in, unless it's that really fine stuff.  In any event, that bearing is Toast!.

many prefer lubing and cleaning the bearings periodically.  I like packing them with grease, but it does slow down the reel a bit when reeling.  At least, it will keep out must dirt and water.  it's a trade off.  If you are throwing jigs, lube.  If you are soaking bait, pack with grease.

The roller bearing, I recommend TSI321 based on Jim's experiment with corrosion.  I'd just drop it in and soak.  if you can vacuum out the air, even better.

I used a 10:1 corrosionX:TSI321 mixture now, and have not had any complaints yet.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

miamipescador

Thanks Bryan helpful as always! It was around 12 when i made that post and now it is almost 2 am ;D. Just enjoying my late nights while i can, school starts in a couple weeks

Clem

Hi Jorge

As a light grease option, I have found Boca lightning lube to very good...a soft grease compared to most and does not dull the movement of parts like some of the tackier greases do. Those line roller bearings are an issue all spinners including the high end ones..tend to just replace them. :)

miamipescador

Thanks for the reply, i'll deifnitely look into it.
I actually meant to say the anti reverse roller bearing and not the line roller. Do you guys get in there at all? Or just replace when needed. I've opened some and so many springs and tiny pieces i just try to stay away.

Clem

Hi Jorge,

Actually little to go wrong with the ARB, particularly in the high end spinners where the sealing is so good. On occasion you will get surface rust/staining on the lower models as they are exposed, but generally they are ok..if they do fail it tends to be more a case of over oiling/greasing..a clean out will fix it and a light oil on the springs etc... If required the clutch is easy to replace on a spinner  :)

Nessie Hunter

The bearings are toast if you feel a grinding.. :'(

Either they have Hard particles in them (soft sand will pulverize and turn to dust).
The particles will stop the bearing from turning,  OR it is already pitted badly and that is what you feel (most common)....
Remember that a ball (in a ball bearing) wont roll over an object, it will just stop turning.
What you probably feel are rusted/corroded "flat spots" on the balls or races...

The AR/roller has the same issues Probably badly rusted and pitted....
I would NOT recommend taking that apart (roller), a real Pain to get back together if it can even be done at all!!!!

All bearings in a Spinning reel should be Grease packed ~ Except the Roller/AR...

This needs lighter oil so the Rollers move as they are intended to do...
They not only roll they move toward and away from the shaft also, this is what stops the shaft from turning (Anti Reverse) in the reverse direction.....

If you dont mind that Grindy feeling, the Bearings will still work for some time, just not smoothly ~ until you can afford to replace them ~ I read Student, so that usually means pretty broke???   LOL   

When you replace them....   
Pack them all with Grease BEFORE you put them in the Reels, except the AR/Roller, TSI 321 is best in there.......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

miamipescador

Thanks Nessi that really helped, the reel is not mine but i will tell the owner that it needs to be replaced. I wasn't sure if there was a way to clean it out.

I am a student, but do plenty of rod repair to not be broke, i have done reel repair for quite some time but have never been hardcore enough to be on a forum and know all the technicalities.

Thanks again guys

Bryan Young

That is why we are here. To help out each other because not one person has all of the answers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D