lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrofit

Different countries have different standards. The product is probably not produced in only one location. Or, even if it is, the different standards of countries must be recognized. What is blue in the US might have to be tan in some other country. Just an aside, I personally think Penn Blue reel grease is just as good if not better than Yamaha marine blue grease. Also there are other marine blue greases out there that are as good as Yamaha, foe example, AmsOil makes a blue synthetic marine grease that I have used on trailer wheel bearings and it is outstanding.  ::)

Theres an interesting field test done on dayattherange.com.  Dabbles in lubrication and rust prevention.  Interestingly, in the corrosion prevention test, T9 which is highly acclaimed here, failed pretty bad in the test. CorrosionX did better but failed eventually too.

johndtuttle

Quote from: 0119 on June 06, 2015, 11:46:07 AM
Theres an interesting field test done on dayattherange.com.  Dabbles in lubrication and rust prevention.  Interestingly, in the corrosion prevention test, T9 which is highly acclaimed here, failed pretty bad in the test. CorrosionX did better but failed eventually too.

How many of those corrosion tests on gun products tested moving parts?

We could paint surfaces (literally with paint) and get the best corrosion protection of all.

But we need products that work on constantly moving parts. Not stuff that produces a coating on the outside of parts that never move (products for the outsides of guns).

This is why Marine Grease is #1 (more durable protection for moving parts than any oil) with a variety of things that are fast and durable enough for bearings and provide good corrosion protection (oils) are #2.

Coating something on the outside that never moves has limited utility for us. Fast oils that do not last have limited utility for us.

The struggle here is to get fisherman to do something (anything) to protect their reels. That starts with generic Marine Bearing Grease that cannot be beat for straight protection for the coin and availability.

After that it is all a variety of bonus qualities that faster lubes have, durability in bearings being chief among them.

Testing is really valuable to us, I just haven't seen any tests from the gun users that are valuable to us because they never test stainless steel bearings in saltwater.

I don't know.  My handguns had much more of a difficult life than the internals of my reels ever do.  Salt spray and splash, sitting in a wet holster for 12 hours a day. Freezing cold Alaskan rain.  Then on duty in Fl., again salt spray, sweat as it rubbed my wet uniform, sweaty hand oils and again sitting in wet leather as I stood in the rain.  My reels get pampered compared to that.  I think its foolish not to look at what other sports use and see where they can be applied.  Example:I find Cyclings Phil's Tenacious Oil to be exactly the same as Rocket Fuel Liquid Grease at a fraction of the cost.

johndtuttle

Quote from: 0119 on June 06, 2015, 07:33:24 PM
I don't know.  My handguns had much more of a difficult life than the internals of my reels ever do.  Salt spray and splash, sitting in a wet holster for 12 hours a day. Freezing cold Alaskan rain.  Then on duty in Fl., again salt spray, sweat as it rubbed my wet uniform, sweaty hand oils and again sitting in wet leather as I stood in the rain.  My reels get pampered compared to that.  I think its foolish not to look at what other sports use and see where they can be applied.  Example:I find Cyclings Phil's Tenacious Oil to be exactly the same as Rocket Fuel Liquid Grease at a fraction of the cost.

How many cycles did it have in a particular day? You reel in a lure once and that is far more cycles than your service revolver sees in every day use. How many cycles does your gun have underwater like a skisher uses his reel? Point being that it is clear the products we have seen in these tests recently seem excellent...for surfaces not in motion.

I think there are many excellent products that will be awesome for the outside of the reel and more to be discovered that might be the best for bearings...the perfect durable lube for bearings that is ultra fast may still be out there. Corrosion-X is proven, widely available and cheap. TSI 321 is the up and comer that may be superior...

But until a bearing test is done in a scientific manner then the stuff they actually designed for use to protect bearings in saltwater is what I am going with.

The problem is testing lubes for bearings takes years of real world use.

That is why Marine Bearing grease has the rep it does...there is decades of real world terrific performance for the cost and minimal regularity of maintenance. Every single boat trailer out there is packed with the stuff. Far harsher testing than any reel will ever experience.

Some of the new oils we have been using are starting to gain acceptance....but, there is nothing scientific out there that tests the performance of moving parts in saltwater over time.

Final point: We can debate this or that brand new lube but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the trouble the pro reel techs see is because someone *did nothing* to protect even one single part of his reel.

In comparison probably even whale blubber lube is superior or some other animal fat that the Egyptians used 4000 years ago to lube their chariot hubs :D . Any oil is AWESOME compared to doing nothing.

ps. I'm gonna market some green Nile Gator Goo to keep your Chariot hubs turnin' smooth...;D..."If it was good enuff fer Ramses II it'll get 'er dun for your reel!"

gator hide accessories sold separately.

Rascal

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 04, 2015, 06:16:41 PM
Quote from: steelfish on June 04, 2015, 04:32:30 PM
sorry, lenguage translation mistake.

I was just trying to say it was really blue in color, not the new color that loos more lile "teal" color.

Yes that's okay I was wondering myself if the Yamalube blue was being discontinued, but it seams to be available at Amazon and should be at most Boat dealerships.

OK, I totally understand what steelfish means. Basically, much earlier on in this thread I believe Alan posted pictures of the Yamaha blue grease to let people what it looks like. I just received my order from amazon.com from the States yesterday and was surprised that it wasn't "crystal blue" neither, the colour is more like blueish green, not sure what to call it, teal or kind of like the Miami Dolphins green.

But, more importantly, I think I might have rushed into buying the Yamaha blue grease as I now know it is petroleum-based. And if I am not wrong, people say petroleum-based is no good and the grease should be synthetic instead. Actually, I would like to ask Alan about that.

kalo

Hi.. First time poster here.  I'm getting in to Ocean Kayak fishing.  I dunked my almost new Tekota 600LC on a beach launch with poor timing in to the surf. It had a bit of sand inside and the bearings had a bit of sand too. I opened it took it apart and cleaned everything well. Lubed up parts/surfaces with some Lubrimatic high temp bearing grease (says good for marine).  The bearings were cleaned well and seemed like they were spinning smooth.  I went to the trouble of getting some ReelX (mostly for the bottle) and have CorrosionX coming soon. My issue and question is about the ReelX or other good bearing lubricants/oil. When applied, the bearings SLOWED down considerably. I would say about 75% slower. I applied with two different amounts and the second was just the smallest drop I could muster out of the bottle.. very very little amount.  I SURE was expecting the bearing to be faster, not slower, with the lubricant.  I've read a lot on this website and didn't remember reading anything that lubricant slows down the bearing, but I sure have to believe it does.  It doesn't matter much to me for this Tekota, but if one was wanting casting distance, it's seems any "oil" is going to slow the bearing considerably.  Am I missing something? Thank you!

johndtuttle

Quote from: kalo on September 15, 2015, 07:42:51 AM
Hi.. First time poster here.  I'm getting in to Ocean Kayak fishing.  I dunked my almost new Tekota 600LC on a beach launch with poor timing in to the surf. It had a bit of sand inside and the bearings had a bit of sand too. I opened it took it apart and cleaned everything well. Lubed up parts/surfaces with some Lubrimatic high temp bearing grease (says good for marine).  The bearings were cleaned well and seemed like they were spinning smooth.  I went to the trouble of getting some ReelX (mostly for the bottle) and have CorrosionX coming soon. My issue and question is about the ReelX or other good bearing lubricants/oil. When applied, the bearings SLOWED down considerably. I would say about 75% slower. I applied with two different amounts and the second was just the smallest drop I could muster out of the bottle.. very very little amount.  I SURE was expecting the bearing to be faster, not slower, with the lubricant.  I've read a lot on this website and didn't remember reading anything that lubricant slows down the bearing, but I sure have to believe it does.  It doesn't matter much to me for this Tekota, but if one was wanting casting distance, it's seems any "oil" is going to slow the bearing considerably.  Am I missing something? Thank you!

Oil in excess creates a fluid wave inside the bearing that will actually slow it down. The most minimal amount is ideal.

However, not to worry as the excess oil will soon leak out/evaporate etc and your bearings will be fine.

The best way to always speed them up is to remove the shields. This way they don't hold excess for long as the first few spins removes excess oil.   ;)

kalo

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 15, 2015, 02:53:32 PM

Oil in excess creates a fluid wave inside the bearing that will actually slow it down. The most minimal amount is ideal.

However, not to worry as the excess oil will soon leak out/evaporate etc and your bearings will be fine.

The best way to always speed them up is to remove the shields. This way they don't hold excess for long as the first few spins removes excess oil.   ;)

Ok. The opening is the spout of the reelx bottle is very small.  The second time I applied, the oil just barely flowed out to one spot on the bearing. I will assume it will spin better over time.  Might have to do a test at some point to "believe" it though.. :p Thanks very much for your reply.  RW

Rancanfish

I think the Yamaha grease I just got on Amazon is petro-based.  Should I not use it since it is not synthetic?

Darn, I'm on here 25 of 24 hours a day and still got it wrong?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

johndtuttle

Quote from: kalo on September 15, 2015, 07:28:58 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on September 15, 2015, 02:53:32 PM

Ok. The opening is the spout of the reelx bottle is very small.  The second time I applied, the oil just barely flowed out to one spot on the bearing. I will assume it will spin better over time.  Might have to do a test at some point to "believe" it though.. :p Thanks very much for your reply.  RW

Talk to me more about this increased slowness. Was this tested with the bearing out of the reel? Or was it tested with the reel back assembled by spinning the spool?

Reason being is that oil will slow them down (sometimes alot) with a simple spin out of the reel but when they are bearing the weight of the spool it is very different.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 16, 2015, 04:08:20 AM
I think the Yamaha grease I just got on Amazon is petro-based.  Should I not use it since it is not synthetic?

Don't worry about. It really is more of an issue over very great time (like opening a 40yo Penn), not for any reel used regularly.

handi2

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 16, 2015, 04:08:20 AM

It's fine. That's the right grease you purchased. It's not blue anymore. It's a blue/green color and lighter than the older Yamaha grease. The old blue stuff is no more.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelCurious

Read a bunch in the beginning and some towards the end, I'll admit I didn't knock out all 20 pages yet, but is the grease gun still available for purchase?  Even though it's 5 years now that you made it  ;D

alantani

the grease gun itself is available and many hardware stores.  i just got a new order of bearing packers and fittings for the inflator needles.  let me know if you want me to send one out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!