lubricants

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Drag grease for Carbon Fiber drags has teflon as it's primary lubricant. It increases smoothness and slightly reduces the coefficient of friction, it will provide some protection but nothing like marine grease which is what you use on your auto or engine.

Ron

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

my 2 cents composition...

Cape-Fisher

I heard of these products that are not that known .
Cyclo W4U -  prenatally out performed the Corrosion X and also much cheaper. Another one is Brake -Away penetrating oil C10 from same company Cyclo .   http://www.cyclo.com/C330.html
Anybody tried those maybe ?
Not sure how much this video is relevant - your opinions please .

Regarding Drag grease , I used these two as alternative and liked the ROCOL Food Lube Multi Paste - food grade  as it is food grade and you can get it in spray version. Other one was Molykote DX paste. They all work
great on drag washers and they have high temperature resistance. Rocol one is extremely resistive to water spray and wash. 

amoebasurgeon

Can Yamaha Marine Grease be used on lighter freshwater spinning gear or is it too heavy?

Regarding Drag grease , I used these two as alternative and liked the ROCOL Food Lube Multi Paste - food grade  as it is food grade and you can get it in spray version. Other one was Molykote DX paste. They all work great on drag washers and they have high temperature resistance. Rocol one is extremely resistive to water spray and wash.  

I looked on the ROCOL website for purchase and also did a general search but it doesn't seem like it's available in the US. Where did you purchase it?

threadfin

For bearings on Shimano TLD's, Tiagra's, and the like, I have been using Corrosion X. I want to try the TSI stuff, should I be using TSI301 or 321? So much info here that my little brain get's confused ;D

Cheers,

wallacewt

hi threadfin
if you live in usa all you need is cal,s grease and tsi301, they are the best
put cals on everything and tsi301 on your spool bearings and level wind
for better freespool.
if you live some where else you can try what other
folks on here do.shimano,penn,inox,etc;
i dont think there are two many that can tell the difference
but you must use something to prevent corrosion
hope this helps cheers

SoCalAngler

Quote from: threadfin on November 20, 2013, 10:51:27 AM
For bearings on Shimano TLD's, Tiagra's, and the like, I have been using Corrosion X. I want to try the TSI stuff, should I be using TSI301 or 321? So much info here that my little brain get's confused ;D

Cheers,

I see TSI 301 as more for a cleaner and lubrication and 321 for lube only. I clean my bearings before I lube them so I went with the 321. The solvent in the 301 evaporates away leaving the 321 behind.

exp2000

301 is just one part 321 with 8 parts "degreasing solvent" added so the synthetic ester can make physical contact with clean the bare metal.

When treating bearings it is a good idea to use the 301 solvent to clean residual lubricant traces.

You can make your own 301 by adding 8 parts lighter fluid to the 321.

It is a good idea to treat all bearings with 301 to completely seal the metal from salt water attack, but especially those that are not going to be filled with grease.

I treat spool bearings with "301", then add a drop of Reel-X for insurance.
~

threadfin

Thanks for the explanation guys. Already using Cal's on drags and Yamaha Lube on frame bearings.

Cheers,

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on November 01, 2013, 04:22:28 PM
Can Yamaha Marine Grease be used on lighter freshwater spinning gear or is it too heavy?

Regarding Drag grease , I used these two as alternative and liked the ROCOL Food Lube Multi Paste - food grade  as it is food grade and you can get it in spray version. Other one was Molykote DX paste. They all work great on drag washers and they have high temperature resistance. Rocol one is extremely resistive to water spray and wash.  

I looked on the ROCOL website for purchase and also did a general search but it doesn't seem like it's available in the US. Where did you purchase it?
Do you think any cooking spray will work? Sounds like i have to test and report back now
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

Well, there's.food grade petroleum products such as mineral oil (liquid paraffin in the Queen's English), and then there are cooking sprays which are made from food products like corn oil. The latter would go rancid very quickly inside of a reel.

There are forum members with a much better understand of chemistry than mine,  and I'm sure they could explain what happens on a molecular level.  I'm sure it wouldn't be good.
Central Florida

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: floating doc on November 22, 2013, 04:34:06 PM
Well, there's.food grade petroleum products such as mineral oil (liquid paraffin in the Queen's English), and then there are cooking sprays which are made from food products like corn oil. The latter would go rancid very quickly inside of a reel.

There are forum members with a much better understand of chemistry than mine,  and I'm sure they could explain what happens on a molecular level.  I'm sure it wouldn't be good.

As a line cook, some people I have worked with used cooking spray to lube the rails on potato cutters and various slicers; good for about three slices then everything gets gummed up. If it's left on until the next day, it's even worse. I'd hate to see what it would do to reel bearings.

johndtuttle

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on November 01, 2013, 04:22:28 PM

It's pretty darn heavy and on real small reels the increase in handle effort is noticeable. Just thin it with Corrosion-X and it lightens up and is fine. You can also go the "Alto Mare" route and cut Valvoline Red 1:2 with hydraulic brake fluid. Same idea.

best

tperk100

Hi Alan / Guys,

There is a lot of info to sort through in this forum. Alan, can you tell me what lubes I should be using. Most of my reels are Shimano Sustains. What oil and what grease for gears and drags?

I am not interested in getting super technical and would like to make this easy. I live in a moderate climate and fish both fresh and salt water. I have no big game or 2 speed reels etc.

On the grease, If Cal's tan grease is really "the only reel grease I will ever have to buy again" for gears, drags etc, then that makes it easy. I want to make this simple and easy.

Thanks much!
Tom P in Virginia Beach, Va, USA
Fisherman, Hunter, Pseudo Golfer, Retired!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if i may butt in, I use Cal's entirely on everything except on bearings... ;) :)