Tiagra 80 - Drag/Free Spool Issues

Started by Marlinmate, August 02, 2012, 02:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Hello

I do not have the reel in front of me, nor have I played with it yet, but here is what customer/friend is explaining to me.

When the drag lever is in free spool, the spool spins fine. As the lever is pushed up, the drag increases, until it gets to strike, then the spool "pops" back into freespool. Says he can see the reel "pop" when it happens. I'm guessing he is watching it shake or move.

Any guesses?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Bryan Young

Hmm, I had that before.  I think the cam was in the wrong position.  The came is what I call that hunk of metal under the preset knob.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

sounds like the cam to me. push the lever till it pops to free then remove and reset the drag lever to free.

Nessie Hunter

Needs to take off the Pre-set knob and re-set the cam at FREESPOOL setting..

Also check the square brass and drag lever connection, it could be worn/rounded & not working ~ allowing Cam/lever to pop back into freespool under pressure....

Keep us posted on what you find.   Great learning experience for us all... :-)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

kamuwela

like nessie said you will have to remove the handle first then the preset. if you push it forward to where it free spools then remove the lever and reposition it to where it is at the free mark. this way you wont have to remove the cam. put it back set the drag and crank it to full and see what you got.