help with reel clamp

Started by q3fishboy, August 03, 2012, 08:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Got a penn 155 I am hoping to try using but it does not have a clamp.  The bottom 2 bars have been replaced with a single plastic piece that I would assume is some aftermarket upgrade. Am wondering what my best bet for obtaining the other half of the rod clamp would be. It seems to be somewhat unique with half of the rod clamp sort if molded into the plastic piece. Also wondering what the cheapest way for me to just get the reel mounted onto a deckhand wrapped rod would be as money is kind of tight right now.

I am assuming a picture would be much more useful than my horrible description but cannot seem to figure out how to post a picture. I see the option below but it is not available right now. Will try again tomorrow but and advice on how to post a picture would also be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Alto Mare

Hello Fishboy.
Looks like you have a newell stand, trying to find just the rod clamp won't be easy and If you do find one, it won't be cheap.
You have a  reel that shares its stand with many others, if money is tight at the moment, just replace it.
Here is one at a reasonable price:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/30-200.aspx
you would also need this part, unless you already have it:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33-200.aspx
the bolts will set you back another $2.

Take care.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

If it looks like the one on the right, it is a Newell.  As Sal says, it'll be hard to find a Newell rod clamp.   

Regards, George

viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Are there any other clamps that would have holes that would line up?  Just asking.  Maybe there's a solution that we never thought of.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

George, I believe that this is the one that Fishboy has:

Would you believe that mine also doesn't have the clamp?
Maybe someone is taking them off, if we see the just the clamps selling on ebay for like $20 a piece, we'll know for sure ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

There's a guy on ebay that makes some clamps, I needed one for 113h with a newell that was missing the clamp part, he had one, it's not the same as a newell, but it does the trick, he also makes stainless frame bars.   http://myworld.ebay.com/fishingreel79/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

q3fishboy

Thanks for all of the quick and helpful replies.

I am going to try and attach a picture of what I have and hopefully it will work.

I have both the Newell base (I guess it is the Newell one from your comments) as well as a non-matching metal bracket piece.  Both a pictured and the holes do appear to match up.

As the holes in the Newell base are threaded, am wondering if I could simply go to the hardware store and pick up a couple of screws that fit?  Any chance I would accidentally damage the Newell base if I did this?  Also, I assume that Newell is like Penn in that I would be looking at standard (not metric) screw thread sizes?

Thanks again for all of the help.

seaeagle2

You are looking for a bolt or a stud.  Mine uses a stud (a bolt with no head) and a nut that tightens up against the base of the reel to hold it tight, then a "nylock" nut under the clamp.  Mine are stainless, and are standard threads. Just take it into the hardware store and match up the threads and you'll be done..
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

I would also take the measurement of your rod seat, that would determine the lenght of the bolts. Mount the reel on the rod and hold the clamp in place. You can always cut the bolts down if they're too long, but would be useless if they're too short.

q3fishboy

thanks a bunch for all of the help

so it sounds like i can just buy a couple of plain screws

as long as they are long enough and the threading matches i should be good to go?

George4741

Backbone and Strikemaster make reel clamps for Newells and others.  Check them out on Charkbait here:
http://charkbait.com/cs/csr_Reel-Clamps.htm  (I'm not affiliated with them ;D)
Also, check out the Cork Puppy on the same page.  I'm not sure what size you need, but their staff can help you.  They all seem reasonably priced.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

thanks for checking.  that may be his only option.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

If you go on Ebay & check Newell you will find the screws you need 4/$5 with free shipping from Fla.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

You know, you could probably fish that reel without the clamp.
I thought you had a stand similar to the one that I'm showing, you wouldn't have had a choice then.
Your reel should be fished at around 10lb, I believe that you'll get away with it. The 149 desn't come with a rod clamp and is a much heavier reel that is rated at about the same.

q3fishboy

Not worried about strength as I just plan to fish 20lb mono on it, but was hoping to mount it on a deckhand wrapped rod with no reel seat, hence the need for a rod clamp.

Just want to confirm again that I can just buy some normal screws and as long as the threads match and they are long enough it will work.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone.

Also, noticed on one of the previous pictures posted how it said "Newell" on it so I checked mine and it is indeed a Newell for sure.