Avet MXL Bearings

Started by jbjyard, August 06, 2012, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbjyard

Can someone help me out with the sizes and number of bearings in the Avet MXL? I have searched around this website and only found the Spool Bearing sizes (.185x.5x.195 & .185x.311x.125) in my search. I would also like to know which bearings would be my best choice. Thanks in advance!

-John

alantani

the big bearing goes on the left side and the small bearing goes on the right. anything in an abec 5 stainless would be fine!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jbjyard

Alan, thank you for your reply. I was looking for the sizes of the other bearings within the reel. I would like to replace every bearing while I have it apart. Would ceramic be better than stainless? I am new to all of this and would like to do things right the first time. Thanks again!

-John

Bryan Young

Hi John,

If you are fishing in salt water, then stick with all stainless.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jbjyard

Bryan, yes. I am fishing salt water. I figured a ceramic bearing would have more longevity than a stainless bearing. What are the differences? I guess I need to do a little more research.

-John

Bryan Young

The ceramic bearings have SS races and still need to be lubricated, which do not do so well with ceramic balls.  Therefore, SS bearings will be your best option since both the bearings and balls get lubricated and function well, lubricated, together. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

skered53

Are these metric or inch pattern bearings ( yes I have a FN, Rhodesian if you need to know),  I assume I can get them from Boca Bearings when the time comes, and lastly...........  is there a list out there that converts from the Avet part number industry number , ie MR688-ZZ

Bryan Young

Avet uses Standard sized bearings.  I'm not sure about the part numbers.

skered53

the two brg listed are
R3    .1875 x .5 x .196    ( there is no  .185 inner diameter bearing, nor one with a thickness of .195" )
R156  .1875 x .3125 x .125

abec 5  R3  ( actually SR3-ZZ,  S for stainless,  ZZ for shielded both sides )
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/19464/0-1875x0-5x0-196-SR3CYZZ5LD

R156 Abec 7    http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/951/0-1875x0-3125x0-1250-SR156ZZ7

I assume the little one  (R166) is failing first ?

skered53

do the MXL and MXJ share bearing sizes ?  I assume so since the MXL is just a wider version of the J     ( me assuming )

skered53

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ball-and-roller-bearings/=japcxx

another link for the little one, also abec 5,  my bad this is the small brg for the JX reel

jbjyard

Hey guys, it has been awhile since i have been on here. I still have not repaired my MXL, been fishing with the rest of my reel arsenal lol.  I am preparing to email Dawn for all my parts and was wondering if you know what size the pinion bearing is for my MXL? In her last reply to me she said she only knew the spool bearing sizes. Any help would be appreciated!

-John

skered53

I'll try to call Avet and just buy the 6 bearings that go into my MXJ,  I'll post the sizes, links and then put them up for sale.

I'm not going to worry about the two in the handle for now.

Derek