Help me please

Started by Snaphappy, August 07, 2012, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snaphappy

It's my first time trying to replace drag washers on my saltiga 50 (or any reel for that matter).  I received my new Smooth Drag washers yesterday (wow fast service, just ordered them Saturday!)  So there are six washers total, one smaller diameter washer that goes below the gear cluster I believe and five more of the same size.  Four of these five are identical however one is a little different.  It has one side that is more coarse than the other.  Is this by design?  If so where does this washer get installed and which way do I install it in regard to the direction the side that is more coarse faces?

akfish

I'll bet if you turn over the washer that is a bit coarser, you'll see that it's the same on the other side. But whether it is or not, it really makes no difference. Put on a very light coat of Cal's grease, reassemble, and you'll love the results.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

xaf

I noticed the same thing on the set I received.  Don't remember how I installed them but it seems to work fine.

Dawn

Sometimes coarse and fine material are bonded together to make the proper thickness.  For example to make .030 material they bond sheets of .020 and .010.  .010 is too thin to use the coarser fibers in it's weave.  They just bond together the appropriate sheets of material to get whatever thickness they are aiming for.
It's all the same stuff, either side facing either way doesn't matter.

Dawn
Dawn

Dawn

Also, some Shimano and Daiwa washers are non standard thicknesses, so that is why you will see varying weaves in each set, since it's a non-standard thickness.  I had to put together some various weaves to get the total stack height where it should be.

Dawn

alantani

i see it all the time.  use the thickest washer last to make sure the slotted metal washer (the one with the nubs) seats properly into the main gear.  usually it is not an issue at all. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Snaphappy

Thanks for all the replies!  Now I will proceed with just a bit more confidence.  :D