Newell 4:1 grinding!

Started by codjigger, August 08, 2012, 07:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codjigger

Reel:113h
  How much is to much grinding noise for newell gears? I bought a set off ebay for $60 and I know newell gears make some noise but I can actually feel a little vibration. The reel has just been but together because I wanted to build one of "Sal's Tanks" so everything is clean and greased I have checked several times to make sure nothing is binding anywhere. My question is should I be feeling the slight grinding from these gears instead of just hearing it!, and if these gears are no good. What is a good price to pay for accurate 4:1 since the have a set on ebay right now for sale but its already at $56 what would be top dollar to pay on them in your opinion. I was thinking of picking them up for another penn build if the condtion for the newell gears I have is normal.

Keta

Stainless gears tend to be noisy and "rough".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

a "whirrrr" is more like it for a new set of newell gears.  look at the gear teeth closely and see if there is obvious damage.  the price now is what ever the market will bear. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

codjigger

thanks for the reply guys the whirrr sound and a little roughness is exactlly what im experincing with the reel. Im glad  ;D to hear that this is normal now I can try to grab those accurate gears for another reel build. 

Keta

The Accurate gears are trash, I'll PM you an address (mine) where you can properly dispose of them  ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Fish that reel hard and they will get quieter. You will also hear the clicking of the double ss dogs, small price to pay considering...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

I paid a closer to 70 for a set off ebay, but I also got whole 113H with a   newell frame,  Newell spool, and when I spun the handle, 4:1 gears, for 55 bucks, and it was just listed as Penn 113H.......
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

codjigger

I usally tend to stay away from reels that are already modified tib,newell frames and such because I would like to build them myself, but after what you just said seaeagle2 im defenitly going to have to take a second look at them!!! to try and get lucky and score some gears. By the way the accurate gears on ebay are up to $70 if any ones interested i just gave up bidding on them. # 140818667586 GOOD LUCK  ;)

codjigger

O hey Sal I see your on the east coast do you do any tile fishing???? I posted in the rod section of the forum if any one could recomend a good 8' rod to pair with a jm pe8 I got as a gift. I got some replies but need an 8' for party boat purposes.

Alto Mare

Sorry Codjigger, haven't done any of that yet.
That little reel packs a lot of punch, I wouldn't go with a 8' rod, maybe a 7'  :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.