Blowing out bearings?

Started by Biggameaddict, August 09, 2012, 12:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

when i clean a bearing, i use compressed air sideways to blow out the excess grease.  then i hit it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and get it to spin.  then i will hit it with more air sideways full force, then give it just a little spin to make sure it spins well.  it you overspin a dry bearing, you can damage that bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

misanthrope

Something else you might be interested is in 99.9% pure IPA (Isopropyl  alcohol, rubbing alcohol, etc). It's used for electronics as it dries quickly and leaves no residue. A lot of solvents contain to high a water content but more importantly, a residue which cannot be seen or felt which can cause shorts on electronics. So if you're REALLY trying to get it perfect, pure IPA may be your ticket. It's safe on fiber optic contacts, precious metal contacts/connectors, circuit boards, components, etc and can be purchased in spray bottles, wipes, individually packaged towelettes and gallon containers as well as scrub bottles (small 3oz plastic bottles with a scrub brush at the tip used for cleaning up solder runs and removing flux on circuit boards). Techspray IPA is usually my go to but there are other companies that carry this product.

Hope this helps

-Will
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

smallmouthaholic

I use a 3 stage cleaning system using 3-1 oz. glass jars w/ lids and M.E.K. (methyl ethyl ketone) for s.s. ball bearings.

I spin the bearings by hand after each stage.You won't believe what settles in the bottom of the jar. Some bearings require a 2nd run through my system. M.E. K. must be used in a well ventilated environment. M.E.K. will evaporate quickly.

You may be astonished @ all the dirt and factory grease that settles and /or floats in the clear , glass jars.

Boca bearings are much easier to clean w/ the orange seals removed. M.E.K. will not hurt ceramic bearings.
Please release your catch today so that others may enjoy the thrill tomorrow