Blowing out bearings?

Started by Biggameaddict, August 09, 2012, 12:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

I spray my bearings with brake cleaner and blow the bearing out with an air compressor at around 100 psi after i spray with some brake cleaner and people now are telling me that that will ahrm the bearing and will blow the balls out of the races. I know this is not true and i somehow cant seem to get people to understand that blowing out a bearing with an air compressor doesnt harm the bearing. I think these people are just bored and made a thought that blowing out the bearing with compressed air will harm the bearing. Your thoughts? Ive always seen alans post and he blows out bearings with high pressure along with everyone else here so i dont think its a problem. BGA

franky

I was told the same thing. 

My problem is that I really like blowing out that bearings and seeing that puppy spin like crazy with the high whistle sound....it really makes me feel like the bearings are gettin a good cleaning.  :-\

But eversince being told to becareful, I just give it a gentle blowing with the dust free computer air blower can.  But even with that, I give it a puff of air to make it whistle.  :D  Gosh, it makes it seem so clean!  ::) 

Biggameaddict

Quote from: franky on August 09, 2012, 01:31:52 AM
I was told the same thing. 

My problem is that I really like blowing out that bearings and seeing that puppy spin like crazy with the high whistle sound....it really makes me feel like the bearings are gettin a good cleaning.  :-\

But eversince being told to becareful, I just give it a gentle blowing with the dust free computer air blower can.  But even with that, I give it a puff of air to make it whistle.  :D  Gosh, it makes it seem so clean!  ::) 
I dont spin the bearings though when i blow the bearings out i try to not blow it at an angle to prevent the balls from spinning. The balls just stay still and the brake cleaner gets blown out.

Keta

Spinning bearings with air over reves the bearing and they can come apart, blowing them out and not spinning them is OK but less pressure is somewhat safer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

I did Pneumatic controls for a living. We used 5, 10 & 15 HP Air Compressors which made 100 PSI. When you compress air you condense moisture. You can use filters or Refrigerated Air Dryers to remove moisture from the air.

Don't use an air compressor to blow out bearing unless you dry the air first. Yor are putting water on the bearings. Use the spary can for the computer.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Biggameaddict

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 09, 2012, 02:40:27 AM
I did Pneumatic controls for a living. We used 5, 10 & 15 HP Air Compressors which made 100 PSI. When you compress air you condense moisture. You can use filters or Refrigerated Air Dryers to remove moisture from the air.

Don't use an air compressor to blow out bearing unless you dry the air first. Yor are putting water on the bearings. Use the spary can for the computer.
Oh really, wont the water just dry up or does it leave any residue?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

at the end of the day i learn from my mistakes ;D...

bluefish69

Quote from: Biggameaddict on August 09, 2012, 03:03:40 AM
Quote from: bluefish69 on August 09, 2012, 02:40:27 AM

Oh really, wont the water just dry up or does it leave any residue?

If your compressor has a crank case you could leave Compressor oil on your bearings [ Sae 30 Non Det.] If you have no crank case you could be leaving metal deposits that you can't see. These are the compressors that all Dentists use. They should have a 3 Micron Filter or smaller on them.

Nessie Hunter

LOL, that was me on another board...   :-)

I stand by that also..   
Your using 100 PSI its very easy to blow the cages & balls out of the bearing races.
Many are just pressed in (like the shields)...
Clean and easy to use the canned Computer air cans.... Low pressure...

Do what you want (or is fun), Its just a caution that could get expensive IMHO...
Especially if your using Carb or Brake cleaner..  It evaporates very clean...
No need to over do the air............

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

reelspeedsouth

Hey guys I read all of these posts about bearings above, I am a reel repair guy, that doesn't make any difference--but I use about 100psi out of  8hp electric portable compressor.  When I first got it set up, I spent some time spraying the air into a white rag and inspecting the rag under a heavy magnifying glass, I didn't find any particle residu, nor were there any water or liquid deposits, I check this every once in a while, the dryer is a good idea.  But I face the spurt of the air at an angle to the bearing and using the cleaner makes them work and clearly as part of our service to our clients I can assure that the bearing is clean and is at its best working order.  I suppose if you take 100PSi straight on a bearing then you might blow it out.  I have never done that, the idea is to get the residu even the brake cleaner off the bearings, buy blowing at an angle the brake fluid cleaner sprays off and the particles and residue do to. I get super clean bearing from this method and would never change.  This is part of our signature bearing service, can't share the rest of what we do, but I guarantee you that while I respect the comments, the air whether canned air or compressor air does work.  Now canned air does have or does put out moisture, I have observed that.  I am not getting that from my compressor.
Also I have metal shafts that fit the bearings and so I put the bearing on one of these and hold it to an angle and spray, so I am not actually holding the bearing, the bearing is spinning on its own as if it were in a reel except at higher rate of speed.  The air burst isn't that long, its just enough to clearly clean the residue and dry the bearing.  There isn't anything I have used that works better....   Your thoughts!

Biggameaddict

Yup i like your idea reelspeedsouth i just open the shields and blow everything out. I blow at an angle too so i can get all the residue out and spin the bearing a little.

misanthrope

I work on electronics equipment including eqiupment with every tight tolerances (down to nanoseconds) as well as vacuum tubes, solid state systems using PCB and SBT that require constant attention beyond taking measurements and making adjustments such as vacuuming dust off boards and blowing air off so I go through a lot of "canned air".

Compressed air from an air compressor unless dried or filtered as bluefish mentioned does have moisture.  Canned air is not compressed air.  You can purchase compressed air bottles (clear with a valve you use to 'inflate' the bottle with) but 'canned air' for electronics is not the same as it is actually a gas compressed into its liquid state that is kept at a stable pressure. Once the refrigerant is released, the pressure is relieved inside the can and the liquid boils releasing a dry vapor. Vapors seen from 'canned air' are typically formed due to atmospheric water molecues being moved around at an accellerated rate from the vapor being released and also if the can is shaken and refrigerant droplets are released. Compressed air is not used on electronics due to the moisture which can cause shorts, corrosion and a 4 to 6 figure invoice to replace a part.

The only reason I can see why blowing out a bearing would cause a problem is rotation at high speeds with no lubrication and if contaminants were present but we're talking beyond what your naked eye can see.

Just my .02

-Will
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

reelspeedsouth

Tanks for the great comments, also I should qualify that some of the thinner bearings like on the right side spool shaft that hook up with the pinion are much more delicate and those are much more sensitive.  I realized after posting I ahve a regulator on my compressor....  Certainly if you did have contaminates you would or could have an issue, but so far I have been very satisfied with the results I am getting....Cheers!!!!!

bluefish69

Reelspeed

You said you have an Air Dryer. If it is like the kind that I installed & serviced it has a small filter & auto drain that must be cleaned 2X a year.

I only like to play with Newell's & about 12 old Penn Reels that is the extent of my reel repair. All of you do more then I do.

I do spin my bearings. I put them on a pick.