DIY MAGNETIC CAST CONTROL?

Started by LTM, August 09, 2012, 01:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Hello,

I've seen comments by some regarding making a "magnetic cast control" system into reels that dont come with this option. I would appreciate detailed info (a turotial if possible) on this subject to incorporate this into some of my reels. Does it matter if the reel has a metal or graphite frame? I may have over-looked any posst that explain in detail on how to do this. I would also like to know how well this worked-out for those who have done this (water intrusion factors, reliability, adjustability, and consistency in setting the amount of control, pro's and con's). Please include a link and if possible a source for parts and tools used to perform this procedure. Once Im comfortable with this procedure, say on my Ambassadeur reels (I think Keta/Lee "magged" some Ambassadeur reels), I would like to perform this procedure to my Avet SX (single speed) and then to my Avet LX6/3 and others I have in mind. I sure would like to know how this is done.

Thanx in advance,

Leo

Robert Janssen

Yes, I did one a coupla months ago on this Ambassadeur knockoff.

Cast control is adjustable by way of the knurled dial in the sideplate, which controls a magnet carrier that rides on the frame posts, allowing its proximity to the spool to be adjusted.

See what is going on there? The black plastic piece contains magnets. The knurled dial is captive in the sideplate, and threaded into the plastic. So as you turn the dial, the magnet carrier moves to and fro.

This method allows a bit of room allows a little bit of adjustability both in use and, equally importantly, in fabrication.

LTM

Thanx Robert,

I've a couple of Ambassadeurs (4600/5500-C3's) that I would like to do something like you've done to.  Where did you get the parts for your modification, how much, etc?  Would you show more details of the side view of the mag carrier and other related parts please?

Thanx,

Leo

Limey

Have a look on here.

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/?cPath=22_56

All sorts of odd bits for converting reels.

Somthing might tickle your fancy.

tight (and tangle free) lines.

Limey

Robert Janssen

I made them myself, along with the one-piece frame.

There are similar mag conversion gizmos available; Limey's link is good. They might have them. There are other places as well.