Power Handle Falling Off

Started by j0k3r, August 09, 2012, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

Hi guys,

I recently bought a power handle knob off of fleabay for my Avet JX. I installed it and while spooling up spectra the knob was becoming unscrewed by itself and falling off (very frustrating). My question is -- Is loctite blue enough to hold it ? It seems the torque + vibration of turning the handle was causing the screw to back out. Or should I consider the permanent loctite red? I'm going on a trip next week and the last thing I need is to lose the power handle while fighting a fish.

Thanks.

Westii

I experienced the same issue recently after installing a power handle.  I didn't use the loctite initially because of corrosion concerns, but after that experience I went ahead and used the blue version.  Haven't been able to test it yet to see if that will be enough.  It was very frustrating though since it was coming loose while catching fish.  If the blue loctite doesn't solve the problem, I wont hesitate to move on to the red.  I'd rather have a corrosion problem at some point down the road than have the handle fall off while fighting a fish.  Just my opinion though and I'm assuming others won't agree with this approach due to corrosion concerns.

onemako

use a small xacto knife and trim a small piece of plumbers tape and wrap one turn on the threads and it will work.

Nessie Hunter

Good question...
I just recently did 3 knobs..   
Followed the directions with Blue Loctite...

But had the same worry about corrosion...
As I got the screw almost all the way down, I brushed in some marine grease between the handle and knob on both sides...
Figured it would not get into the loctite or threads at that point...???
Time will tell..   
These reels are going to Cabo to Live on a fleet of Panga's.
The ultimate test !!!!!!! 

Ill keep you posted if there is an issue with them...  ???   :-)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on August 09, 2012, 05:14:08 PM

Hey Frank:  Are these reels going on Pino's Pangas?  What kind of reels are they?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jdc946

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. Locktite solved the problem, haven't had another occurence

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 09, 2012, 05:47:29 PM
Quote from: Nessie Hunter on August 09, 2012, 05:14:08 PM

Hey Frank:  Are these reels going on Pino's Pangas?  What kind of reels are they?  Dominick

Dom, Yes for  Pino via Othan...
TLD II
Triton II
Tiagra II

Full service and New handles...

He has a whole bunch of quality stuff down there now, all those Trynos II's  I did plus so many others....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Nice reels Frank, good luck on your trip.
BTW, do you like those short handles? I would think a 6" handle with those nice "T" knobs would make a world of difference.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2012, 09:15:46 PM
BTW, do you like those short handles? I would think a 6" handle with those nice "T" knobs would make a world of difference.

IS there an extension/longer handle for the 2 speeds?? 
I just never looked for them.   
I could sure use one on my TLD 30 II also...

?????

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

I don't know who would have them for those reels Frank, I just thought that a power handle would be nice.
Maybe you could try this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com/fishingreel79?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
You might need to send him your handle, but I'm sure that he could do it for you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on August 09, 2012, 09:34:21 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on August 09, 2012, 09:15:46 PM

IS there an extension/longer handle for the 2 speeds??  
I just never looked for them.  
I could sure use one on my TLD 30 II also...

?????

Alan has or at least had a handle arm for the Shimano 2 speed TLD's. I have one on my 20 II. Nice handle.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=269.0

Tiburon also makes one. I have 3, 1 lite and 2 of the original Mark II's. They fit Tiagra & Trynos 12 thru 30 & all TLD 2 Speeds. Fishincomfort on ebay also has complete handles which are longer than stock

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Dominick

Frank:  Nice reels.  I've seen reels that nice on the cruisers, never on a panga.  Pino runs a class act.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

misanthrope

Loctite is not only a thread locking compound, but a sealant as well. As long as the components are dry and assembled in a dry environment, there shouldn't be an issue using Loctite vs grease in terms of corrosion, just make sure to be generous with the Loctite so it squeezes out a bit. I haven't had any issues nor have I heard of mariners or fisherman in small coastal Alaska that have had negative experiences other than "I should've used the red one". Your mileage may vary, with my luck someones going to listen to me and 2 months later the reel is going to be plagued by cancerous corrosion.

-Will

Disclaimer: My wife not listening to me may have merit...
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

willybendit

Hi Nessie   ive a new power handle and longer handle blank to fit a Shimano TLD 30   it came from the states   ill track down the company  if your after one    its the same as in the pictures

Nessie Hunter

The TLD is terribly weak in High gear, needs some torque to crank it...
I was thinking a longer handle, but use it so seldom I havnt looked for one.

If you know of any, please let me know...  :-)

Current handle is 3" overall. 
But only 2 1/2" center to center.... Weak Sauce!!

Yes Othan & Pino's (Augustine)  has nothing but the best. 
Tirgara's, Trynos etc... TLD's are back up reels for them.
All special serviced for Cabo with Wet Carbontex & extra marine Grease & love..
Has had several customers comment on the quality..
One customer even complimented them on the Drags lasting all the way through big fish, saying his previous outings they have all faded out and almost cost him Big Fish each time!!!

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!