Screaming Noise From 6500CS

Started by westcoaster, August 09, 2012, 08:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster

Hello All,

I though I would post this question here after getting such great help with my Penn 49.  Was out today chasing pink salmon at lunch and about half way through my reel started making the most horrific screaming sound, casting with the check off.  It would still cast, but every time I would really haul it out there it would repeat the sound.  If the cast was just lobbed there were not problems.  I am going to give it a full strip down and clean tonight, is there anything I should check specifically?  Could the bearing need to be cleaned and oiled?  I have had the reel for a number of years, but have taken care of it so the issue should hopefully not be a major one.  Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

kamuwela

im no expert but sounds like bearings

Bryan Young

Possibly the pinion is not disengaging enough for complete freespool
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Hio,. The above inputs are accurate, but I would also check the idler gear for lube on the non crank side. If it's a gear with a dimple, cut the dimple off with an olfa knife, and put an e-clip like they did in the past. You may need to chamfer the bore a bit. This will make it easy to both remove the gear later, and let some oil past the dimple.

If the gear alsready has an e-clip, dribble a bit of oil down onto the post.

Then, check the two centrifugal weights for squeak, by taking a cotton bud (q-tip) with a little oil on it and swab the ring (on the brake plate) where the weights go.

While you have the axle and spool out of the reel, to oil the bearings, gently push down on the axle stub on the gear side. It should float up and down a few thou. If it's not bouncing the copper shim underneath has gone flat, and needs to be re-bent, to let the axle float.

Next, make sure the spool is centered in the frame, by adjusting the cast cap. Is the little black disk still in the cast cap, and unbroken. Once in a while, the spool will rub the frame, if uncentered, with the caps loose.

I'd def. get a ceramic line pawl, if you don't have one now. For double the money, you get 15 times the life.

Let us know what you find. Good fixing and fishing. KD

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Ken_D on August 10, 2012, 02:47:04 PM
Then, check the two centrifugal weights for squeak, by taking a cotton bud (q-tip) with a little oil on it and swab the ring (on the brake plate) where the weights go.

Let us know what you find. Good fixing and fishing. KD

I agree....
I would think a high pitched scream/squeal like you described would be the brakes also..
That is typical of the sound they make......

Fingernails on the blackboard!!!!!     YIKES!!    LOL :-)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

westcoaster

Thanks for the help all!

I took everything apart to the lowest common denominator and cleaned and inspected, re-lubed and re-assembled.  The only thing I could find that was making that noise was the plastic idle gear on the clicker side.  It made quite a bad sound when it was rotated prior to being oiled.  After it was fine.  Test casting with a weight in my back yard proved most positive.  Seems the issue was fixed, not 100% sure if it was the idle gear or something else that got worked out when I did the full cleaning.

Thanks again!   

alantani

sounds like you got away easy.  sometimes i would tear apart a reel 4-5 times before i finally got it to work.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

QuoteIf it's not bouncing the copper shim underneath has gone flat, and needs to be re-bent, to let the axle float.
Great advice Ken, cheers.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ken_D

Thanks, Redsetta...now and then the bearing itself gets tramp matter around the edges, and wont let the axle float along with the bearing, but usually the shim's gone flat. No bearing float/axle bounce, no cast control.. 8)