Dartanium drag washers and pitting in main gear (Curado 200 DSHV)

Started by reelspeedsouth, August 10, 2012, 04:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelspeedsouth

Hey guys I repair a lot of coastal and inshore fisherman's reels, I have noticed that those that have (Shimano) dartanium washers get a pitting and patina in the main gear that causes it to loose its smoothness, I ahve used 600 crocus cloth or equivalent and smoothed the surface out so when I add new Carbontex washers, the surface will be smooth, here are some pictures.  NOW with respect to the Curado 200 DHSV (example, but have seen this in other Dartanium washer reels)) there is a hole on the outside of the reel that goes right into the bearing shaft housing, see the salt deposits inside this area?  I have as a rule been putting a dot of silicon sealer on this, since it is heavily greased and the pot below the bearing I usually fill with grease until it squirts out a bit, but still this is not going to stop the in roads fo salt over a long period of time, so any one out there seeing this in there reels and comments are welcome....I know these holes are used to evacuate water, but I believe in this case its better to put a dab of silicone ont he hole, its not pretty. but its hidden and it should help. Cheers!

Bryan Young

Yup, in many near shore reels. Just smooth out and apply a thin coat of Cal's grease. Nothing more to do and best to prevent corrosion. Yearly service is also recommended.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reelspeedsouth

Bryan--I think these shimano washers are not good at all (my reason for the post).  They work fine for their drag purpose but they way they dig nto the metal and the patina they cause -- one would be better to change over to Carbontex.  Also I wanted to be a little more clear, I am putting a small dab of silicon, on the outside of the reel hole where the drive shaft is located.  This area is relatively hidden  by the spool and so the little dot doesn't show.  Any thoughts on adding the silicon as a maintenance item, esepcially given the many, many reels of this type I have opened up with salt deposits in the bottom where the bearing resides.  Your comments?

Also I use 600 crocus cloth and clean by hand, but I have wondered if investing into a small roto tool to clean these would be good?  Anyone using one of those?

alantani

i see this all the time!  just use cal's drag grease.  it will be fine.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I use SS wire brush with a little grease on my roto tool to brush off the pitting and corrosion.  It has worked for me and is fairly effective at removing corrosion.  May still need a light sanding to remove high spots though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reelspeedsouth

Alan-any comment on the idea of using a small dab of silicon on the outside of the reel frame (200DHSV and others with the same design) where the botom of the drive shaft is located?  If you look at my picture you can see the salt deposits, this seems to be typical, so if this drive shaft would have been upgraded to a bearing it would have been rusted through I am sure of that.  So my idea is whether its a plastic bushing or an upgraded bearing the hole on the outside of the frame collects salt water off the spool, this intern builds up underneath the shaft bearing area, at least I have seen these areas with little or no grease that eventually wears out of the underneath of the shaft.... :
So I now I have been doing my maintenance and filling the socket for the bushing/bearing with blue grease, and then taking the spool out and putting a dab of silicon over that hole.  It is hidden and so it really doesn't show, but I believe in the future the reel I just did will not have that type of corrosion localized under the drive shaft.  I know this was designed for a reason that way, but it seems that the salt water has a way of negating the design and makes this an entry point for serious corrosion.  Some of these reels are rather old, but in excellent working order because of excellent design, and it seems that this little extra addition might help in the long run????

Bryan Young

Regarding the Silicon, I just never though about it.  as salt water enters, I would like fresh water to enter easily as well to rinse out as much salt as possible.  So for me, it would not make a difference.  But if the reels do not get a good rincing everytime, it might be a good idea.

alantani

i would just use an old toothbrush and spread some grease around the inside.  no need to get any fancier. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!