Okuma Titus Gold 20II

Started by pk911, August 11, 2012, 05:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk911

I have two Titus Gold 20II reels that I won at our fishing club functions. They are brand new, no line, scuffs, no blemishes. I am wondering if I should put line on them and fish them, sell as is, or modify to make them better or any suggestions from here would help. Or should I just sell them.  I fish in S. FL. for the usual sails, kings, dolphin, wahoo, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.  I did a search on here but came up empty. Thanks. :-\

akfish

Unfortunately, those reels came out before Okuma reorganized and began making excellent reels. Personally, I'd much prefer fishing almost any other reel. However, if they are new, then you got them before they had any corrosion issues. So: If you pop them open and do a full service -- put a thin coat of grease on all internal metal parts, lube the bearings, etc. -- they will probably be OK. Off hand, I don't remember whether they have a carbon fiber drag washer, but I don't think they do. That's an issue because I doubt you'll be able to find an after market carbon fiber washer that fits. If you can, or if the came with a carbon fiber washer, then your reels will be OK -- if you make an extra effort to keep them clean, inside and out, to fend off inevitable corrosion.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mohamedhashem21

check alan's thread about the titus gold 15II they are very similar
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=43.0
it can be helpful

mohamed hashem