All Purpose Reel

Started by kmb997, August 11, 2012, 07:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmb997

Ok so I know there is no such thing as a reel that will do everything but I'm looking for something close. I want a lightweight reel that is capable of trolling the GOM for Mahi, Wahoo, YFT, Marlin, etc., drop by the rigs for AJ, Cobia, Snapper, etc., and have the line capacity and drag for say 200lb YFT or Marlin. I've had recommendations for Makaira, Avet, Talica, Penn. I've used a Talica 25II for all of the above and it did the job well but would like to know if it's the best choice before buying 3-4 of them and spending a nice chunck of change.

Thanks

akfish

Personally, I believe the Talica is overpriced. The Makira 20 might be a good choice, or maybe the Penn 16vsx. A 200 pound tuna will push either of these reels in terms of line capacity, but as long as you are not fishing from an anchored boat, you should be OK.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

conchydong

Perhaps a Shimano Torsa  (30 or 40) and a bunch of different drag cams for your various types of fishing. That would be the most "versatile" reel that I can think of.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/docs/Torsa_Cams_Charts10_07_v1_m56577569830631919.pdf