Ryobi Aquila Low Profile BC reels

Started by Marko, August 13, 2012, 07:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

Dear Mr. AT and all enthusiast angler,

i have one low profile baitcast reel which already upgraded with Smoothdrag ABEC 7 ceramic bearing.

after +- 4 months.. something funny is happening.. it just happen yesterday.

usually, to reach casting distance of 70-90 feet with 15-20 gram lure i need t swing hard and fast. but yesterday, after dozens of throwing and one giant snakehead strike- when i swing fast and hard.. the magnetic brake engages extremely hard and fast... i can only threw 30 foot distance.. i turned of the magnetic brake... no change..

and i try one cast with slow and soft swing.. it does 90 foot again... and afterwards.. i no need to swing extremely hard.. just smooth swing and the lure goes 90 foot.

does anyone has the same experience? or i was just too dumb all this time that i treat this BC reels as same as spinning reels for casting lure? :o

thanks

alantani

i wish i knew something about magnets and the different types of mechanisms.  anyone?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

alantani

there is so much out there in the rest of the world that we never see in america.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marko

Quote from: alantani on August 14, 2012, 04:25:30 PM
there is so much out there in the rest of the world that we never see in america.....   :-\

and many items that i can only bought in America as well .. LOL :D

Ryobi Aquila is an entry level reels Mr. AT. but it cast nice with its twin centrifugal and magnetic brake and the best thing that it use brass spool gear and main gear.

it sold for about 85 USD around here. i like this BC reel so much that i catch small bait fish(w/sabiki rig) with it, fishing catfish and giant snakehead. with its 10 lbs of max drag.. it sure pack a punch ;D

oh well, You have those Abu garcia, Penn, Quantum etc BC reels that will do the same job over there :D

anyway, i tried to clean those bearing today with TSI 301 and i can't wait to see the difference after it's cleaned.

@ wallace : i just got back from sumatra, the sugar cane plantation where no internet is available over there. i think i sent u message @ the skype today.. but You didn't reply.. i assume that You are fishing ;D

basto

If you are only getting problems when casting hard and fast, I would check that the end of your centrifugal brakes are not binding on the  drum.
I don`t think magnets could slow the spool up that suddenly.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Marko

Quote from: basto on August 15, 2012, 09:33:43 PM
If you are only getting problems when casting hard and fast, I would check that the end of your centrifugal brakes are not binding on the  drum.
I don`t think magnets could slow the spool up that suddenly.

the issue was that the centrifugal was embedded to the spool assy.. and i don't want to disassemble the spool assy  ;D  and i dont think its adjustable...