newell reel

Started by Rare, August 15, 2012, 11:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rare

I can't find the accurate gears or newell gear that I had ready for the Penn 505HS when the OG gears went bad...like a time like now. :'(

Anyways, which Newell reels model will have 5to1 gear ratio that will fit the 505? I might see a Newell reel for cheap and just buy the whole reel and take out the gears I need. (Pinion gear and main gear)

Unless someone has no need for the SS gears from accurate and willing to let them go  ;D wishful thinking

Bryan Young

You will need the 220 or 229 for those gears.  On eBay, they are up $100 for new newell gears.  The dealers that I was looking at are sold out.  I saw somewhere that Charkbait may have a few sets.  May want to give them a call.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rare

ReelSpeed

Hey Bryan, I found a couple more main gears from one of the shops I work with, but no pinion to go with it... one of you guys want them?  Look like they are $25/ea...
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

bluefish69

In NY we interchange gear sets between 200, 300 & 400 series Newells. The only thing that I watch for is 3 stack & the old 4 stack drags.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Justin, I looked ther last night and they are now sold out. 2 weeks ago, they had 5 sets when I called, but didn't have the cash to buy them.

Aaron, I'll let you know if they will work for me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rare

Justin that the first website I went too and it said sold out last week or so. lol Thanks anyways!
folks at chark bait siad they will have to look but more than sure they are out and have been for a long time.

Aaron, hold one for me. I guess I will buy another penn pinion if I have too & be on the look out for an SS one till i find one. I will get in touch with you soon via PM. Do you still have any large handles left by the way?

Bryan Young

Quote from: ReelSpeed on August 16, 2012, 04:58:11 PM
Hey Bryan, I found a couple more main gears from one of the shops I work with, but no pinion to go with it... one of you guys want them?  Look like they are $25/ea...

Hi Aaron. I'll take them if the are the 5:1 Newell main gears. The pitch is the same as the Penn 505/506 main gears and I can easily get Penn pinions. Bryan

alantani

they may not have the same pitch.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

G'day lads,
While I haven't fished it yet, I matched a new 505 pinion to my 5:1 Newell main gear yesterday and it's spinning smoothly.
(I'd damaged the Newell pinion very slightly drilling it out for a Tib Jigmaster.)
All appears well at this stage...
Cheers, Justin

russ1962

Quote from: redsetta on August 20, 2012, 07:46:00 PM
G'day lads,
While I haven't fished it yet, I matched a new 505 pinion to my 5:1 Newell main gear yesterday and it's spinning smoothly.
(I'd damaged the Newell pinion very slightly drilling it out for a Tib Jigmaster.)
All appears well at this stage...
Cheers, Justin

So, is the pitch the same?

bluefish69

Is the Penn Pinion Brass? I wouldn't mix the Brass & S S. Brass is soft.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

redsetta

G'day Russ,
Yes, as Bryan noted earlier, the 5:1 Newell and Penn 505/506 main gears are the same pitch.
Cheers, Justin

russ1962

Hi Justin, Thank You! ;D