What to do...and not do.

Started by Doc, August 16, 2012, 03:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Imagine being geared up and totally dialed in for long-range fishing... but 5 years ago. Now it's time to dust everything off and prepare for my first trip in years. Aside from rod and reel issues which I will post and deal with elsewhere, I need suggestions about line and terminal tackle. To start with I have endless line and leaders including rigged fluoro, mono, cable, and piano wire. Can I trust any of it? Does it all go in the garbage and everything get re-rigged. How about my solid spectra? Junk it and go holocore? Splice it to holocore? Hooks and jigs may not go bad but how about crimps and boots? I don't need to explain the cost and hours of prep here! Anything new that's a must have with line and tackle? ???

Keta

If your mono was not exposed to heat and sun it should be good, the Fluro is OK.  Splice in a section of hollow on the end of your solid spectra and go for it.  Cable, wire and crimps do not go bad.

I have funds from the cancled Baja trip and another 15 day is in my thoughts....too bad my friends all work or are broke.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Doc

Quote from: Keta on August 16, 2012, 04:56:52 AM
If your mono was not exposed to heat and sun it should be good, the Fluro is OK.  Splice in a section of hollow on the end of your solid spectra and go for it.  Cable, wire and crimps do not go bad.

I have funds from the cancled Baja trip and another 15 day is in my thoughts....too bad my friends all work or are broke.

It's probably been covered but any suggestions on methods of splicing solid to hollow core spectra? LOL the working or broke thing is definitely true.

Keta

Tye a overhand knot in the solid spectra
run the solid into the hollow until the knot is into the hollow about 1"
serve from the end of the hollow to the knot
make a second serving 1" or so toward the reel
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jim

Quote from: Doc on August 16, 2012, 03:40:50 AM
Imagine being geared up and totally dialed in for long-range fishing... but 5 years ago. Now it's time to dust everything off and prepare for my first trip in years. Aside from rod and reel issues which I will post and deal with elsewhere, I need suggestions about line and terminal tackle. To start with I have endless line and leaders including rigged fluoro, mono, cable, and piano wire. Can I trust any of it? Does it all go in the garbage and everything get re-rigged. How about my solid spectra? Junk it and go holocore? Splice it to holocore? Hooks and jigs may not go bad but how about crimps and boots? I don't need to explain the cost and hours of prep here! Anything new that's a must have with line and tackle? ???

Wire doesn't go bad, no worries there.
Mono and fluoro, why chance it? Ditch the stuff, the $ cost vs possible disaster doesn't pencil out.
Solid spectra, I'm not a fan. Hollow means easy splice repairs in the event of a disaster. Easy connection to topshots (either splice in or loop to loop). Why jimmyjack around with connections that may or may not be 100%?? Hollow solves all that.

Doc

Jim,
My initial thought too. But after considering how much it would cost to re-spool 10 or more reels with hollow and then buy new mono and fluoro I needed to consider other options. Even buying JB hollow in major bulk I think I'd be spending more than $1000. Also I fished solid for years... it's not so bad. :-\

Bryan Young

Doc, stay with your solid spectra and you will be fine. Just know your knots and tie them well as well as test their strength an rig accordingly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

josa1

Hi Doc,

I don't think any of your gear or rigging is damaged by inactivity.  I would use it all.  I guess it just comes under the heading of "Different Strokes for Different Folks!

In recent years I've used mostly solid spectra on the reels.  I then splice a 3' or so section of hollow, usually 130 or 200 pound, depending on the topshot pound test, to the end of the solid to facilitate the top shot addition.

My connection of solid spectra to hollow is pretty simple.  I make a splice loop in the hollow spectra and tie a bimini or a three turn spider hitch in the solid.  I then use the loop to loop connection, three in-and-out weaves, to connect the two.

Believe it or not, my limited testing of the spider hitch loop reveals no failures, and the best thing is that I can tie a very short, QUICK! loop using the spider hitch.

My connection of mono to the hollow spectra is to tie an overhand knot in the hollow spectra, and slide it back up the line.  I insert the top shot tag end into the hollow about 18", then slide the  overhand knot down to about 3/4" from the end of the hollow spectra and pull it tight.  I've never had one of these connections fail so I have complete confidence in them.  GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP!  Great fun!  Josa

Doc

Well I appreciate all the advice. Mostly I think I'll fish the solid spectra. I used to know all my knots... just need a little refresher course. Nothing like an eight day for that. As for my gear, I went through it in the last week and am surprised how much stuff I have. Currently Alan has all my reels in for service. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new rod and reel. All of my stuff is old school... state of the art circa 2000 but Clarion proven. At any rate I'll stop sweating over the terminal tackle and line and just load up on some extra fluoro leader. 8)