penn 9/0 from rich harrison

Started by alantani, August 16, 2012, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i cut and pasted the photos in for rich.

Alan , Alto hi and  Thanks  - for many years of great info and ideas .

I have made a number of adventurous excursions into Stella's , 2 speed conventional reels and others with the knowledge that you are around for back up  , and  assistance off your website .

Pls find pics attached – sorry I could not attach them to website – lost a few just tryin to save them – only just learnt how to attach to emails.

My history is predominantly freshwater baitcasters and spinning reels .

I live by the coast now - and the sea does call - all to often .

Pls assist me with the following – for my Penn senator 9/0 .  If possible an estimate of manufacture year/decade – pics attached – I would like to make up a mini year plaque to attach to the right side plate.

Drag washers and discs  ( I have the old 3 + 3 type ) I would like whatever you suggest .

Beleville for drag and handle/drag star – pls  note I have a thin belle at the handle and a THICK belle at the drag – both brass ?

Hard Felt washer for below the main gear and soft below the drag pressure plate .

Dog and 2 springs  - brass or stainless . I am going to try the double dog modification . I think the synchrinised double dog is more effective  - if one is going to break no point having them non synchronised – then again I like the reduced backlash from non synchronised  - think I will have to put 3 in (?) .

Does this reel have any option for  spool spindle bearings as opposed to bushes ?

Bigger handle options ? Not necessarily handle arm .

My main and eccentric gears look chrome/ssteel  but are magnetic ? I have inspected – all ok . Is this normal – many pics show brass/bronze gears ?

A few parts have  114 on them – was it normal to mix and match during assembly ?

Thanks alan – I hope most of this makes sense  - pls will you send me prices – I will send credit card details with confirmation .

To round off – I do not want to make a super winch out of this reel – I want it to be efficient and effective for its parts/frame – with a little bit of power when needed .

Regards , rich.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Rich, I can't help you with dating your reel, but I like the unusual counterbalanced handle and steel main gear.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

You won't be able to pin point the year....I don't believe that anybody could, but you could get close.
I'm sure that you have the 3-piece spool, do you have any numbers stamped on any of the chromed parts?  Stand, spool, bearing eccentric lever and so on?
If you do, I'm going to guestimate your reel to be anywhere from the 50 to mid 50's.
Around the mid 50's Penn introduced the one-piece spool.
If the chromed parts don't have any markings on them, your reel is a couple of years older than the dates above.
There are a couple of other ways to determine the date, but are not accurate, some change parts on those reels.
I hope this helps a little.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: George4741 on August 18, 2012, 04:17:32 AM
Rich, I can't help you with dating your reel, but I like the unusual counterbalanced handle and steel main gear.

George
Rich: I can date your reel.  What is your curfew?  I can take it on a date for daytime fishing or night time fishing.  Are there any restrictions on drinking?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 18, 2012, 06:18:19 PM

Rich:.  Are there any restrictions on drinking?  Dominick

Yes!!! You need to cut down on the zin ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 18, 2012, 08:41:57 PM
Quote from: Pescachaser on August 18, 2012, 06:18:19 PM

Rich:.  Are there any restrictions on drinking?  Dominick

Yes!!! You need to cut down on the zin ;).

Sal it is not the Zin.  The Zin makes you feel good.  It's the lousy wine like this that makes you do silly things.   ;D

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bunnlevel Sharker

Replace that spool as soon as you can with a one piece chrome. Those three piece spools will deform and break if to much pressure is applied.
Grayson Lanier

wallacewt

Makule

QuoteAround the mid 50's Penn introduced the one-piece spool.

With respect to my esteemed colleague, Penn introduced the one-piece cast bronze spools in the Senators in the mid to late 60s.  That was also about the time when the handles were changed, discontinuing the counter-balance feature.  My recall about those things isn't so good, but I do remember that the changes were made in about that time frame.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on August 20, 2012, 06:05:43 PM
QuoteAround the mid 50's Penn introduced the one-piece spool.

With respect to my esteemed colleague, Penn introduced the one-piece cast bronze spools in the Senators in the mid to late 60s.  That was also about the time when the handles were changed, discontinuing the counter-balance feature.  My recall about those things isn't so good, but I do remember that the changes were made in about that time frame.
IN 1932 Otto Henze established Penn Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Company in Philadelphia, 25 years later in 1957 it was their silver anniversary and that is when the light green boxes were introduced ( don't ask me why the boxes were green and not silver). I believe that all of their green boxes came with the one-piece spool on their reels.

Makule

My father had a couple of 6/0 Senators from the mid 50s and they had the 3-piece spools and the counterbalanced handles.  When I started casting in the 60s those reels were still being sold here.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Albert, I'm 100% sure that the one-piece spool was introduced during Penn's 25th anniversary. The 25th anniversary should have been on 1957.
Henze introduced the model "K" and "F" in 1932, but the patent was issued in 1933.
In the year of 1958 Penn Senator models from the 4/0 to 12/0 featured the one-piece cast spool as standard equipment.
The one-piece spool was optional in the 14/0 and 16/0.
Sal

Makule

QuoteAlbert, I'm 100% sure that the one-piece spool was introduced during Penn's 25th anniversary. The 25th anniversary should have been on 1957.

Sal, I'm 100% sure that you're 100% correct, since you're 100% sure.

That I could purchase the old style reels in the 60s probably only means that someone had old stock they were getting rid of.

I would reiterate, "My recall about those things isn't so good, but I do remember that the changes were made in about that time frame".  The decades are getting mixed up in my mind as they are getting numerous.  Next thing you know is that I'll be telling you Kennedy was President in the 50s. :-[