revo inshore need help.

Started by khang76, August 16, 2012, 08:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khang76

Hello everyone, I recently found this forum while trying to fix my revo and decided to sign up. I'm making this post because after many failed attempts of trying to put my levelwind back im still unsucessful  >:(. After a few seasons and some nice bat rays, the plastic gears of the levelwind started to chip off from one another. Since then i have replaced both parts. But now i can't seem to put it back together correctly? The levelwind is working but isnt smooth and the levelwind puts more line onto the right side of the spool. For example the levelwind likes to make a double take/stop on the right side then proceed to the left side. Can someone help me out here? A tutuorial or pictures of theirs? I used the schematics but it didnt solve my problem either. Please someone help me as for now im using my revo as a NON levelwind becasue i took it out lol. Thanks.

redsetta

G'day and welcome khang,
You'll need to have a close look at the worm gear and pawl as either or both are likely damaged.
It takes very little wear or damage (particularly on the worm gear) to cause the whole system to fail.
This may, in fact, also be the reason the plastic idler gear stripped in the first instance.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

So true!!   Hard to figure level winds.   
Best to just replace the worm gear & Pawl...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

khang76

thanks guys. there is this slightest little chip on one of the gears. Any chance abu have some other gears that are not plastic? I changed them with new ones and within a week one chipped off...

redsetta

G'day khang,
The idler gear is made from plastic as it's sacrificial - you could (potentially) lose a finger if it were metal/alloy...
Something may be 'hooking up' elsewhere in the levelwind mechanism.
Schematic here: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/userpics/114425REVOINSHORESCHEMATIC.pdf
I assume you've replaced the nylon gears #31 and #12.
Have you had a close look at the worm gear (#11) and pawl (#17)?
Good luck, Justin
PS If you replaced only one gear the first time around, there may have been a chip of plastic/nylon still embedded in the teeth of the remaining gear, which would have then damaged the new one.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

get in there with a magniflying glass.  there is a bad gear in there somewhere.    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

There is a possibility that the Pawl is not tight against the Worm Gear???
Before you buy parts etc, try this;

Pawl (part # 17) ~ take off the cap (#19) and see if that tiny spacer (#18) is in there..
If it is find something of about the same thickness and make a second spacer.
Put that spacer in on top of original. Tighten cap back down and see if it helps...
Do NOT over-tighten this Cap..  Snug only...

I have had this issue int he past...
The spacer gets compressed, or isnt thick enough, or just gets lost or falls out when serviced..
Often the parts machining isnt perfect and it just needs a second spacer...
So give it a try.....You will see & feel resistance if its to tight....

Has to be at a happy median to work proper or it just skips and misses the Worm gear or doesnt turn at end...  (Line bunches up on one end)...

I have also had 2 out of 3 Plutons come in for service from same customer at same time, that had bad Worm gears & Pawls.
Close (Mag Glass) inspection showed worn and chipped ends on Worm gear...

Replacing was only option..   Worm gear & pawls......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

khang76

been busy lately so held off on fixing my revo. Had to resort to using my curado. Finally decided I missed my revo too much so replaced both the worm gears yesterday. Everything seems to work fine. Will see how it holds up against some salmon in this coming week. Thanks for the help guys!