Modify 9/0 Penn For More Drag?

Started by My Three Sons, August 25, 2009, 10:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Three Sons

Can a 9/0 Penn be modified for more drag, 50 to 60 lbs? Last week while tile fishing at over 1,000' deep, I wrecked my 9/0 and Electramate 920xp on on something really big. While in the gunnel, the 80 lb bent butt rod's tip top was touching the water at times. Also, the reel is packed with 150 Powerpro. I really want to stay with this reel because it matches my Electramate. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

Carlos Richter

alantani

electramate has a stainless steel gear sleeve for this reel.  it would be a very worthwhile upgrade for your reel.  figure 35-40 pounds of drag maximum for this reel, but that would be at the top of the spool.  i had not thought of this before, but when the spool height decreases by half, the drag pressure doubles. order up a stainless steel gear sleeve for the 9/0 and ship it out with the reel.  this actually might work!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

My Three Sons

Alan,

Thanks for the PMs'. The 9/0 hold 1500 yards of 150 lb Powerpro. So, If I fill it with 1000 yards, I will be closer to my goal. If this works, I will probably blow up  the frame next! I will get the motor off of the reel this weekend and shipped to you next week. Thanks again.

Carlos Richter

alantani

you know, i heard that jvariance was thinking about making big penn frames.......

suitekids

Hey Alan, isn't the the gear train the same on the 6/0 and 9/0, I thought the numbers were the same 005-115. With that being said wouldn't the drag pack be the same aswell? and the only difference is larger side plates to handle a larger spool than the 6/0 ?? or did I misread  the gear number?

redsetta

QuoteLast week while tile fishing at over 1,000' deep, I wrecked my 9/0 and Electramate 920xp on on something really big. While in the gunnel, the 80 lb bent butt rod's tip top was touching the water at times. Also, the reel is packed with 150 Powerpro.
"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Quote from: suitekids on June 05, 2012, 11:50:24 PM
Hey Alan, isn't the the gear train the same on the 6/0 and 9/0, I thought the numbers were the same 005-115. With that being said wouldn't the drag pack be the same aswell? and the only difference is larger side plates to handle a larger spool than the 6/0 ?? or did I misread  the gear number?
Dan, the second paragraph should answer your question. I believe that this reel could be pushed over 40lb, but I still need a ss sleeve.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3935.0
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

akfish

The 115 9/0 and 114H 6/0 have the same main gears and same drag stack.However, they have different pinion gears so the 114H has a slightly faster retrieve. The slower retrieve on the 9/0 provides a bit more cranking power.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Makule

Quote from: My Three Sons on August 26, 2009, 06:18:37 PM
Alan,

Thanks for the PMs'. The 9/0 hold 1500 yards of 150 lb Powerpro. So, If I fill it with 1000 yards, I will be closer to my goal. If this works, I will probably blow up  the frame next! I will get the motor off of the reel this weekend and shipped to you next week. Thanks again.
Carlos Richter

Couple of things on this:  First, the 9/0 is my go-to reel in many instances.  It was my favorite casting reel.  My most recent experience was with a large hammerhead and after an hour, the frame became distorted.  Not a lot, but enough to cause the spool to hit the side plate, jam, and cause the line to break (120 braid).  Was able to straighten the frame and use the reel again, but it just pushed the reel to the limit (pretty high limit for shore fishing);

Second is that my Electramate was made to fit both a 9/0 and 12/0.  It's now mounted on a 9/0 and I haven't tried it on the 12/0.  Maybe yours can accommodate a 12/0 also.  Maybe different models, however.  Lots of torque but very noisy.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

suitekids

Thanks guys, I saw your pics Sal, and I see the pinion is much stouter in the 9/0. I am waiting on the SS gear sleeve, was supposed to be here yesterday, Very Very slow on the shipping. I will study up on the double dogs for the 6/0 or maybe buy another sideplate to experiment with my dremel. What do you think the 6/0 is capable of totally tricked out?
The one piece aluminum frame it came with seems stout enough without having to go aftermarket, I will keep it in the loop and it will be stock looking. If only there were the accurate 6/0 gears still available :'(

Keta

I have the dogs for these reels drawn up and the first test run will be cut sometime soon if SS dogs are wanted/needed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

suitekids

Makule

Quote from: Keta on June 07, 2012, 02:43:06 PM

I have the dogs for these reels drawn up and the first test run will be cut sometime soon if SS dogs are wanted/needed.

Will take 8.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

whoa!  looks like someone is going to be busy this weekend!   ;D

Bryan Young

I though Lee was a Decky on an Oregon charter boat.  With his farm, decking and now dogg manufacturing operations, where does he have the time to go fishing?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D