vintage ambassadors

Started by LI Guy, August 19, 2012, 01:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LI Guy

A question for you Abu experts. I know you're out there. Going through a long lost box of old tackle I came across two old ambassador reels. I would like to know if parts are available and what upgrades can be done. First one is a 6500c from the mid seventies. It's was used heavily back in the day and it shows it. The number on the base is 770904 and all it says on the reel is Abu Sweden 6500c. The second is a slightly newer 5500c,serial# 811204 and the reel is marked Garcia Ambassador 5500c, product of Sweden.

akfish

Actually, those aren't old as far as Ambassadeurs go. Many parts are available from Abu Garcia and those that aren't can usually be found from some one on the ORCA (Old Reel Collectors Association) website. You can get modern drag washers from Smooth Drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Contact Jerry at hookless.com. He carries dual b.b. levelwinds, ceramic pawls, boca bearings, carbontex drags, b.b. idler cogs and b.b.'s for the main drive shaft.  He customs makes C model Abu reels so also has new sideplates too.  My C's kick butt.

LI Guy

Thanks for the info guys. I checked out www.hookless.com and it was pretty  cool. I had to get off the site because I was just too tempted. I'm tempted to convert one  of these reels to a CT. Any tips or advice?

GulfOfBothnia

Is this something you're looking for?

http://www.blakdogtackle.com/ctcage.php

You can also get needed parts from blakdogtackle.

LI Guy

That is exactly what I'm looking for! thanks.

You can get the conversion bar and studs here in the U.S. and save yourself the overseas shipping.

LI Guy

Yeah, I see Hookless.com has everything I need. It was nnice to see the job laid out on the Blackdog web site.