Stella knob replacement problem

Started by PoppinTonga, August 19, 2012, 06:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoppinTonga

Hi All,
My shimano handle knob has gone all sticky, so I decided to buy one of the round Aluminum ones to replace it.  When trying to remove the knob, I found that the shaft the knob sits on is spinning in the handle.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop this, so I can remove the screw on the end.  I am guessing it has something like loctite on it.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Nessie Hunter

Not sure exactly what your doing??
Have any pics???

I do know that some handles have a very thin nut at base.
It takes a very thin, flat wrench to get to it (almost paper thin)..
This is between the base of 'handle shaft' and the 'handle blank'.
Have to hold that to turn the top screw... Other wise it just spins...

I am not well versed on Stella Spinners so could be wrong on this...??
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

here's a schematic for one of the stellas.  you can see from the schematic how to take it apart.  is this what you are looking for?

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/09STL10000SW_v1_m56577569830654493.pdf
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

PoppinTonga

The shaft that holds the knob is pressed into the handle and should not spin.  The shaft is drilled and tapped on the end inside the knob and a small phillips screw holds the knob on the shaft.  Since the shaft is spinning the screw will not come out.  It is an easy change if the shaft stays put like it should.  I have already changed the knob on my 18k reel. 

Doesn't sound like this is as common a problem as I had thought.  Starting to have a chat with Shimano in NZ, looks like a warranty issue.