Halibut on a Tank

Started by Keta, August 20, 2012, 07:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

Where is Halibut still open ? We get  about 4 or 5 three day weekends worth in the Straits and Puget Sound, and they just closed our Puget Sound hatchery Chinook fishery......
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

By the way, NICE FISH, there's some good fish n chips there,  ;D  might I recommend the " baked" recipe in the recipe section  ;D, My 113h's would be light armoured vehicles cause I only have one stainless dog, I gave up on trying to carve the side plates for now.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Steve-O

Congrats on those flatties!  The seas look like glass, too. Must have thought you were fishing in a big pond. Hopefully, I'll have a similar report this time next month after my trip to Craig, AK. I'll be using a two speed on a spiral wrapped that I built.

LTM

Way to go Lee!!.  BTW, did you say a 7+1 drag stack.  I must have missed that portion on the "Tank" series.  Anyone mind pointing me to it.

Leo

redsetta

G'day Leo,
This was George's idea (for a 114H initially), here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4627.0
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

LTM

Harry

That is sweet mate!   Great satisfaction using gear that yourself has added additional engineering too.

George4741

Lee, did you or anyone else try out one of your 349's?  Again, nice catch.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

Quote from: George4741 on August 22, 2012, 04:00:49 AM
Lee, did you or anyone else try out one of your 349's?  Again, nice catch.

George

Actually, I have modified my 349HC so that it now has the 7+1.  I've been meaning to post images and measure the drag but haven't gotten around to it (campaigning and also got another lathe and trying to get it operational).  Will post when I can.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

George

If we get another all depth halibut day this year my plan is to test out one of my 349H 7+1 reels, the one with the Newell aluminum spool.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on August 24, 2012, 02:20:39 PM

George

If we get another all depth halibut day this year my plan is to test out one of my 349H 7+1 reels, the one with the Newell aluminum spool.
Just don't forget what me and you have been discussing about that reel. It's not just about gears and a 1+7 drag stack, other things need to be considered.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

My deep (500'-700') halibut reels are filled with 65lb Spectra with 10' 50lb topshots.  I'm going for smooth over strong.  

Last night I took apart the 113H to see how it looked after the first fish, the .020" CF washers looked like new.

Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on August 24, 2012, 05:26:05 PM
My deep (500'-700') halibut reels are filled with 65lb Spectra with 10' 50lb topshots.  I'm going for smooth over strong.  

Last night I took apart the 113H to see how it looked after the first fish, the .020" CF washers looked like new.

:) 8) :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 24, 2012, 04:33:12 PM
Just don't forget what me and you have been discussing about that reel. It's not just about gears and a 1+7 drag stack, other things need to be considered.

Sal and Lee,
I gotta ask, is there anything we 349 users need to know, or consider, about these reels?
George
viurem lliures o morirem