Halibut on a Tank

Started by Keta, August 20, 2012, 07:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Nothing at all George, we were just comparing that reel to others. By the way, I don't have a 349 on hands,  I only have 49's. Comparing the spool shaft on the 349 to the 113H, which is beefier? Don't go breaking them down, maybe someone has the spools to check.
Thanks George!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Thanks for your prompt reply, Sal.  I was afraid there was some weak link to watch out for in the 349.

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 25, 2012, 02:02:50 AM
Comparing the spool shaft on the 349 to the 113H, which is beefier? Don't go breaking them down, maybe someone has the spools to check.
Thanks George!
Sal

The spool shafts are the same diameter. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

I thought so, I checked with the pinion that I told you about a little while back and it was a good fit, but still wasn't sure about that pinion.
Thanks George!
Now I need to hunt one of those reels down, I got to have one.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

George, I took a closer look at the 349. Comparing it to the 114H narrow, I believe that the Senator is better suited for the 1+7 drag upgrades, that is what i was discussing with Lee. At the same time, it is nice to experiment ;).
Sal

Keta

The 114H is considerably stronger reel. it has less drag surface due to the larger diameter gear sleeve but not that much considering how we are pushing these reels.  I'd like to take them to the Sea of Cortez and test them on large yellowtail and grouper but it won't be this year. 

If parts for a 349 were easier to come by I'd sacrifice a gear set and/or spool to do a destructive test but I hate to break irreplaceable parts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 25, 2012, 12:39:51 PM
George, I took a closer look at the 349. Comparing it to the 114H narrow, I believe that the Senator is better suited for the 1+7 drag upgrades
Sal

I think so, too.  I have 2 right sideplates from 349's that are cracked.  The cracks radiate out from the bearing area.  I noticed them when moisture wept out after cleaning them.  I suspect (but cannot prove) they both cracked due to stress from high drag settings.  I've since replaced them with one-lever sideplates.

Quote from: Keta on August 25, 2012, 02:25:07 PM
The 114H is considerably stronger reel. it has less drag surface due to the larger diameter gear sleeve but not that much considering how we are pushing these reels.  I'd like to take them to the Sea of Cortez and test them on large yellowtail and grouper but it won't be this year.  

If parts for a 349 were easier to come by I'd sacrifice a gear set and/or spool to do a destructive test but I hate to break irreplaceable parts.

Your comments are noted and I agree.  However, I think the main gears are quite strong.  Unlike most Penns, the 349's are made of steel.  

Because of these reasons, I've decided not to push my 349's and I'll limit them to 40lb line.  I've also put a narrow frame kit on my 114H (1+7 drag) and that will take up where the 349 leaves off.  
viurem lliures o morirem