Pike Fishing in Northern Saskatchewan

Started by fisher480, August 22, 2012, 10:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisher480

My wife and I have just got back from a six week trip to Canada. I went fishing up at Reindeer lake and had a great time catching over 13o Pike for the five days fishing. On the last day we caught five over 40 inches. The largest for me was 47inches while Cate caught a 45inch.

Something different from fishing here in Australia

fisher480

fisher480

Cate locked up on a good fish in the weed

fisher480

Pink Slug Go was the best big fish lure

fisher480

All the boats lined up at the lodge. I must admit I was surprised at all the riveted alloy boats.

wallacewt

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Looks like fun.  A family that fishes together are hooked together.  Beautiful wife you got there.  You could have at least gave her the larger fish.   ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fisher480

Thanks guys. Cate and I both enjoy fishing and travelling so when we combined them that's perfect.

Our next overseas trip will be to Thailand catching those evil looking giant snakehead.

ossipeter

What a nice trip.
Hope you will tell us about Thailand and the snakeheads.

whalebreath

Cool post-Thanks for sharing.

I grew up in northern Canada long before pink plastic baits were ever heard of and had no idea they would work for big Pike like those.

HOLEINTHEWATER

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR TRIP. IF I CAN'T BE THERE AT LEAST I GET TO SEE ALL THE FUN YOUR HAVING.

fisher480

I am very lucky to have a wife who fishes with me but doesn't hassle me when I go fishing with others.

Pike fishing was a great experience because again it shows the common factors to find fish are the same no matter where you are.

My observations were that they loved bays and areas with weed and wind blowing onto them. The weather played a big factor. At the beginning of a bad weather change the fish were very sluggish but as the weather front receded the fish really turned on.

On the calm days the soft plastic Slug Go's really worked a treat. The old spinners, minnows, and spoons were far less effective.

I used some Aussie barramundi lures on them too which worked well in the less weedy bays.

I was amazed at how fish cruised the shallows and fed freely even with a 40HP 2 stroke motor running. There is no way any barramundi would put up with that.

In Australia we just don't have the extensive inland waterways which exist in the North American continent which made everything so interesting and different. Out on Reindeer lake we experienced 2 metre seas on one of the days and it felt weird because the spray was not salty.

This was only one week of our holiday let alone talking about the inside passage cruise up to Alaska, Calgary stampede etc... and our stop over at Seoul.

The best holiday ever!

Tile

These pikes are massive and no wonder why the medium baitcasting rods and reels are used there.
In solid fiberglass we trust