Just bought bunch of Penns from AUnts Estate- Upgrades?

Started by Joel.B, August 22, 2012, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

My aunt was in her 90s when she passed- this lady got me into fishing as a kid, fished her whole life up to the end. I only wanted some of her gear but was forced to pay top-dollar+ for all of it from estate. I gave $450 for three 113s, a 149m, a 111, Longbeach 60 and 64, a 109 and a 180. All with boxes, most in great sghape some not-so-much.  There was also a bunch of old rods, none worth much I am sure- Sabre, bamboo deep-sea thingies.....horrocks-Ibottson UL spinning rod in case.

I want to keep one 113, maybe the 111 and the 180.  I like these and want to use them but wonder if any upgrades for the 180 and 111. I mostly wish they were faster and stiffer.  I have seen what is out there for the 113.   I will try to sell off the other reels

I want to use these reels in Mexico for YFT, YT, Pargo, grouper etc. I really like using jigs, tossing live bait. Not so much trolling.

I also have some empty penn boxes, reels for them not found. A bunch of extra handles with various colors. 

onemako

do you wish to sell one of the 113's thats in good shape

alantani

these penns are like AR-15 rifles.  there is virtually no end to the possible upgrades available.  a good cleaning and drag upgrade is helpful.  clean out the bearings or bushings.  check the gear sleeves  consider a handle upgrade.  then look a other things.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joel.B

Yes I will sell one of the better 113s, not sure which yet but you will get first dibs. These are the older models w/o the graphite frames, just bars.

As for the 111 2/0 and the 180, did anyone make faster gears for these? What about frame-kits etc?  I wish these had faster retrieve and stiffer frames.

I see a ton of stuff for the 113 ala an AR15, nothing for these others yet.

Dominick

Joel:  My condolences on the loss of your aunt.  Good move on the reels you expect to keep.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

hey dom
my grandma was always doin crosswords
when she passed away we buried her
6 down and 3 across
this has got to cease ::)

George4741

Quote from: Joel.B on August 23, 2012, 03:41:29 AM

As for the 111 2/0 and the 180, did anyone make faster gears for these? What about frame-kits etc?  I wish these had faster retrieve and stiffer frames.

I don't think you have any gear change options for the 111 and 180.  The 180 can be beefed up with a Newell base and bars or a Tiburon frame.  Frame kits for the 111 are rarer than hen's teeth.  Actually, the stock frame set-up on the Penn 111 is more than adequate.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

onemako

hey joel just hollar at me when you decide  tight lines

SteveA

If you want a 1 piece aftermarket frame, try the Tiburon Reels website. They have serveral frames for the Penn Senators and Jigmasters.

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on August 23, 2012, 07:54:09 AM
hey dom
my grandma was always doin crosswords
when she passed away we buried her
6 down and 3 across
this has got to cease ::)

;D ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Joel.B

Here they are minus the 111 and 180. There are three empty boxes, no idea where the reels went, Hope I was not charged for those by the estate.