Okuma Magda drag

Started by brdhntr, August 29, 2009, 07:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdhntr

Alan,
I have been reading through all your great info, and it has really enlightened me.  One thing I don't see is anything on the Okuma Magda line.  I am using a pair for dypsey divers for salmon fishing on the great lakes.  Okuma claims they use cabonite drag washers in them, and they are a 3 drag system.  Have had it apart and it looks fine.  Problem is it doesn't seem as smooth as my Diawa's by a long shot.  Question is are the Carbontex washers better, and if so, any idea what size would fit (I didn't think to check the dimensions when I had it apart.)?

alantani

the old magda line did not use greased carbon fiber.  you might want to take a look or call okuma and ask.  i have a couple of boxes of carbon fiber drag washers and will mix and match them for a particular reel.  it's easy for me, but it doesn't help you one bit.  if you have carbonite, just regrease them.  if not, we'll have to find something that will match.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

brdhntr

I'm not sure if they are carbonite, they aren't felt, but are a black, almost look like slate.  I bought them used, and the one I did pull apart looked like it had been taken apart and put back together wrong.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the washers when I pulled them out.  I'll try to get to the other one and take some pictures.

alantani

yeah, that's what i thought.  these washers really should be replaced.  match them up with something on this list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0  you will be amazed at the difference!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!